1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

System randomly decides to hang. Urgent.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Blackwing, Jan 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blackwing

Blackwing Thread Starter

G'day.

I return from exile today to post the following problem for myself.

At random points, my PC decides it hates me. Then, it acts like it froze, for a brief moment. Animations, my cursor, and sound stops, or lags, hangs. Then it works for a second, and hangs again. This cycle doesn't end till I reboot.
    Now. If it hangs, and I see it, and I slap the right, lower side of my PC with my palm, not that hard, it stops for a few seconds. I did this a few times only to have it come back a few seconds later.

So I slapped it ten times in rapid succession. It stopped. NOW it's randomly just screwing up my sound.
    If possible, I'd like to know what is causing this annoying phenomenon. If it was a virus, it wouldn't care what physical part I hit (And I do have AVAST protection).
    Further, because the problem half-fixes itself with physical interferance, I suspect it's physical in nature. Such as a bad HDD, or a slipped cable or something.

I'm *desperate*, PLEASE help if you can.
    NOte : We tried IDE device switching (The new D drive was pathetically slow. Extracting a 656 MB archive took TEN minutes on it. It would randomly lag up to horrific degress). That problem is fixed. But this one, it's been around for a month now...*sigh*

Thanks in advance. Tips are welcome here, though I doubt I can check back often - so they are even more welcome on my Email. [email protected] . Please make sure to have the subject say "Hanging help" or my spam filter will remove it.
    Thanks..

Edit : And no, my CPU is nowhere NEAR 100% usage . Not even before, at , or after the hangup moments. It barely reaches 15%. This install of windows XP itself is well over 3 years old. I don't let spyware or viruses inside, yet...argh...

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!