1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

System randomly resets

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mashc5, Apr 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mashc5

mashc5 Thread Starter

Alright, so I bought a barebones kit from tigerdirect that included the following

Motherboard: Biostar MCP6PB M2+
    CPU: AMD Phenom X4 9650 Quad Core
    Videocard: BFGE210512D2E GeForce 210
    Case&PSU:power Up Black ATX Mid-Tower Case with 450-Watt Power Supply
    Memory:Centon 2048MB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz
    HDD:Hitachi 1TB Serial ATA HD 7200/32MB/SATA-3G
    DVD-RW: Lite-On DH-24AAS Internal DVD Writer

The kit didn't come with a cpu fan so I bought a cheap one from a local computer parts store. The fan didn't come with any installation instructions so I found some instructions online and thought I installed it correctly. The system ran fine for about a month except it ran really hot (often >80C). When I realized it was running hot I opened up the case and found that I had installed the fan backwards and that it wasn't making a very solid connection with the cpu. I flipped it around and viola, the system no runs at around 50-60C most of the time. It worked fine for awhile and now the system has started crashing alot. I turn it on, it runs for awhile and then suddenly the screen goes blank, the fan revs up and the system doesn't respond but it doesn't restart. I occasionally get a blue screen with a STOP with code 0x7F. I thought it was the video card at first, so I uninstalled the drivers and took it out of the system and used the graphics card on the motherboard. Still crashes and sometimes it doesn't even fully boot before it crashes (It did this before I removed the videocard as well). Occasionally, I get message at the bios splash screen that says something about lowering the cpu frequency or something along those lines (I forgot to write this down and it doesn't happen very often. I haven't overclocked the cpu so I'm confused by this.

My question is do you think I've done some kind of irreparable harm to the cpu by running it for so long at such a high temp or do you think there's something else wrong with the system?

My next step is going to be running some kind of memory test, but I'm not gonna have time for the next few days to work on it so I thought I'd post here and see if anyone had any specific suggestions or knowledge about my particular setup.

Thanks,
    Mark

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    on the heatsink for CPU - did you use any thermal compound or a PAD between the CPU and FAN ?

3. mashc5

mashc5 Thread Starter

Yes, the fan I bought had thermal paste on it when I installed it. When I removed the fan to reinstall it, I did not put additional paste on before reattaching it as there was still plenty on both pieces. Either way, I don't believe that overheating is causing the current problems as the core temperature is now staying in a reasonable range. I'm more concerned that the cpu was damaged during the extended period of time it had previously been overheating. If it's another piece of hardware in the system I feel I can probably debug it, but I'd rather not waste hours and hours only to find that the cpu is damaged. Is there any good test for this?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/919276

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice