1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

System randomly restarts after installing video card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by baitbucket, Jul 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. baitbucket

baitbucket Thread Starter

HI
    I had posted a while back with a problem with my system shutting down and making a beeping noise that reminded me of a Police Car in europe. So with the last suggestion given I decided to change the video card. I monitored the temp of my processor and it never did get hot.
    Here is the Thread from that.
    http://forums.techguy.org/hardware/470791-computer-shutdown-making-beeping-noise.html

So I changed my video card and now the system does some random restarts. I stuck with the same brand. I put in Nvidia Geforce 6200 agp8x 128mb. I installed as instructed. So now I went from the system shutting down and beeping to the random restarts. I left it run for a while and when I came back into to check on it the screen was just a dark haze of colors. I'm thinking it was getting tired of doing restarts and it got confused. I put and email into nvidia tech support. I had seen they had updated drivers on their site but they had no explanation if they would clear up any issues. In my email to them I asked about it but with their reply I got no response on that. In their reply they asked me to check the temp of the card or try and install it into another computer to see if the restarts happen. Well I dont have another computer to do that with and I have no idea how you would test the temp of the card. I did reply back but have not got a response yet and with it being the weekend I dont think I will get one.

I was hoping I might get some ideas from this board.
    How do you test the temp of the video card? Might sound light a dumb question but I have never had a problem when installing a video card.

Next i'm wondering if my mother board has something to do with this too. I have the Abit KW7. Do I have to change something on it?

Here are my specs
    AMD Athlon XP3200. The mother board is an ABIT KW7. The power supply is an Antec SP500. Windows XP pro. 1g memory.

Thanks
    Baitbucket

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

It sounds like a bad card.

Run sysdm.cpl and go to Advanced > Startup and Recovery and remove any check in "automatically restart".

BSODs should follow.

Also ....

I can run a debugging utility on the dump files if you do this:

1 > create a new folder on the desktop and call it "dumpcheck" or whatever you like
    2 > navigate to c:\windows\minidump and copy the last 2 or 3 minidump files to that folder. They are numbered by date.
    3 > close the folder and right click on it and select "Send to (folder name).zip"
    4 > use the "manage attachments" in the "advanced" reply window to upload that zip file here as an attachment.

This might point us to a 3rd party driver causing the error, if one exists for it.

Since almost all bugchecks can be caused by faulty ram, I would recommend you perform memory tests.

Beginners Guides: Diagnosing Bad Memory

Windows Memory Diagnostic
    Memtest86 - A Stand-alone Memory Diagnostic

3. baitbucket

Thanks for the Reply here is the Dumpfile zip.

It took many trys to get the system to just get past the boot this time before restarting.
    Thanks

Attached Files:

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Well there are two different STOPs. One in a Microsoft driver which is

And the other just signifying "memory corruption".

I would investigate the memory corruption issue first and foremost by testing the ram.

If you have more than one module you can rotate one out at a time. You can also create a bootable CD or floppy disk with a memory testing utility. I recommend "memtest86" as it will give you an indication of which module is failing from its results.

You might also want to monitor the voltages on the motherboard and whether the fan is working properly. Either can cause alarms to go off.

http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

Attached Files:

5. baitbucket

I sure do appreciate your help.
    I had to run out so I shut the system down to be on the safe side and now I get no video )black screen) for the most part. I hear everything going but I have nothing on the monitor. I hit the reset button and I get the first beep boot and I do get to see the memory check and detecting drives and then it freezes right there. I have no keyboard to even get into setup. If I hit the reset button again its hit or miss as to if I get any video instead of black screen.

It just seems to get worse and worse. Where do I start now?
    Thanks
    Baitbucket

6. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Sounds like a blown motherboard or cpu if you can't even get into the BIOS.

You might try a hard reset using the onboard jumpers -- and if there is any chance the battery is dead, replace it.

And just for the heck of it reseat everything from the Video card, memory modules, power and drive cables.

Remove any cards or hardware not required for booting.

7. lehatche

lehatche

Rolling Rog, Is it not possible that this also could be PSU issue? I have seen bad PSU's that were bad, but not dead, do a lot of weird things.

8. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Well that was actually one of my first thoughts, but figured the Antec 500 was sufficiently powered for the card.

However it could certainly be bad.

Glad you brought it up again though.

9. baitbucket

Well it looks like I have some work ahead of me. The PSU is new. the motherboard too is new. Same month. the reason for replacing them was because I had a problem that was also intermittent with the Power button. I would press the button and sometimes get nothing. Other times it was fine so I assumed PSU problems. I replaced the PSU with the Antec 500. Things were fine and then it started again. So thats when I decided to change the Motherboard. Got the Abit KW7. System ran smooth until my post in May.

So I guess its back to square one now. I thought maybe I did not set something right on the Motherboard but the system ran great for a while. Until I had the beeping noise issues and decided it was the Video Card.

Got lots of thinking to do.
    Thanks for all your help
    baitbucket

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/485348

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice