1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

System rebooting automatically at Windows load screen

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Ramulux, Nov 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ramulux

Ramulux Thread Starter

So I recently had a problem with my PC which caused it to freeze at the PCI listing Screen. I was able to fix it by going into the recovery console and resetting the boot load order with "fixmbr". When it loaded for the first time Avira popped up saying that I had some boot sector viruses on my hard drives.

I stupidly put off dealing with it and today my PC just randomly restarted and now it wont go past the windows loading screen. Whether I run it as "Start Windows normally" or "Last good configuration" it still just shows the windows loading screen for a second and then restarts. I also cant get into safe mode.

I think that I probably have to reset the boot load order again, but I'm not sure. Would that be the most obvious step? Once I get to my desktop I will run the diagnostic programs and make a post in the malware forum to try to actually deal with the viruses, but I need to actually get to the desktop.

2. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

Boot from the Windows XP CD and select the first "R" option to access the Recovery Console. Select the OS and input the Administrator password. If there isn't one, just hit enter. At the prompt, type:

EXPAND X:\i386\userinit.ex_ C:\windows\system32\userinit.exe

"X" being the CD ROM letter, so change accordingly. Hit Enter. Exit out and try to access Windows.

3. Ramulux

Ramulux Thread Starter

I am afraid I cant get that code to work. First of all, I cant remember the drive letter for my CD-rom so I am just going down the alphabet trying each letter. I also cant tell if "userinit.ex_C:" is a typo and should be ".exe" or if that is the right way. I have tried a lot of different combinations and nothing is working.

I am getting a couple different responses though. One is "The file could not be expanded", another is "The path or file specified is not valid", and the last one is "The file name, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect". I dont really understand what the difference is between the responses, maybe you could explain what would cause them to be different. I think that "The file could not be expanded" is the response to the code with the right drive letter but maybe its just the wrong code.

Could you please retype the code and specify whether it is .ex or .exe for the CD drive part so I know that I am putting in the wrong code. If I know that the code is absolutely right I could just cycle through the different letters until I get it right. Also is there a way to see what drive letters represent different hard drives or disk readers without getting into windows. I checked the BIOS but it didn't say. Thanks a lot, I really appreciate the help.

4. VictoriaiiCe

VictoriaiiCe

Try: expand d:\i386\userinit.ex_ c:\windows\system32\userinit.exe

5. Ramulux

Ramulux Thread Starter

I tried the D drive and wrote exactly what you wrote but it just says one of those three responses.

I have tried all the drives it might be and wrote out after the C:Windows that you write next to
    "expand d:\i386\userinit.ex_c:\windows\system32\userinit.exe

Is there anything about this that I might be misinterpreting? Also what exactly is this procedure doing?

6. VictoriaiiCe

VictoriaiiCe

It recovers/repairs windows/registry files. You can also type: chkdsk /r

7. Ramulux

Ramulux Thread Starter

Are you saying that writing "chkdsk /r" in the prompt next to C:Windows will accomplish the same exact thing as that long code?

8. Ramulux

Ramulux Thread Starter

So I ran the chkdsk /r from the command prompt and allowed it to run. When it finished it said that it had found and repaired some errors so i typed exit and it rebooted. Because my PC originally randomly shut off I see the screen allowing you to either "start windows normally" "use last good configuration" or go into safe mode, when I reboot. So I tried starting windows normally and a second or two after it goes to the windows loading screen there is a click from inside my PC case and it reboots. I tried safe mode with networking and that didn't work either. It just automatically reboots a few seconds after hitting the windows screen.

Since chkdsk /r did not seem to work, is there any other way for me to try to fix this? Should I keep trying that long code again or did chkdsk /r do what that would have done?

9. Ramulux

Ramulux Thread Starter

I still haven't been able to get my PC started. I am fairly certain there is a serious problem with my hard drive from the viruses that caused the boot sector problems. Is there any way for me to possibly fix this, I have been thinking about doing a windows repair installation but that sort of resets the whole system and is annoying.

I very stupidly didn't back up my files and there are things on my drive that I really, really don't want to lose. I don't even really care what happens to the drive as long as I can somehow get into windows and get all my stuff off of it. I'm also worried because the sector viruses spread to the other hard drive I was using for storage, so now there might be something really wrong with that one too.

10. VictoriaiiCe

VictoriaiiCe

Ok we tried a repair that didn't work we're going to have to re-install a fresh new copy of windows. You do have your windows installation disk in your pc correct? When you're ready let me know I'll walk you through it- you MUST delete the partition you currently had problems with.

11. Ramulux

Ramulux Thread Starter

So you are saying that there is no possible way for me to recover the information on my drive? I guess if there is nothing I can do, I'll just go ahead and reinstall windows. If you can quickly explain the best way to do that I would appreciate it.

12. Ramulux

Ramulux Thread Starter

Also, besides the hard drive with my operating system on it, I have another hard drive that I was using for storage that got infected with the same boot sector virus. I had it split into two partitions, one that was empty and I was saving for a new install of windows and another for storage. Is there any way to try to get the information from the storage partition without infecting or messing up the hard drive or the other hard drive?

What is the best way to deal with both of these hard drives?

13. VictoriaiiCe

VictoriaiiCe

If you have enough memory I'd just delete the partition giving you trouble and reinstall a fresh copy of windows as for the other partition you said there's nothing on it?

14. Ramulux

Ramulux Thread Starter

I just figured that it would be better to reinstall Windows on the other hard drive because it is bigger. But the thing is that I have it split into two partitions, one that is empty and one that I was using for storage and has a bunch of stuff on it. Should I just delete both partitions and start fresh? Can I choose to delete the partitions that are there when I am choosing where to install the operating system?

Also if I leave the other hard drive thats infected attached to the PC, do I run the risk of it infecting the other drive once I have cleaned it?

15. VictoriaiiCe

VictoriaiiCe

If you have no problems with the storage partition I don't see a reason to delete it. I'd back up my data either way but (that's me I would clean it out completely) But you should only have to reformat the drive (partition) your having issues with. A clean install of windows will remove and wipe that partition clean not affecting the other partition if you decide to keep it. When you re-install windows it shows you which partitions are available on your hard drive- you decide which you want to reformat and or delete.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!