1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

System rebooting suddenly

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by LordPython, Feb 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. LordPython

LordPython Thread Starter

This started yesterday, and since then, has happened about 8 times. My computer will just spontainiously reboot. Is there anything I can do to try and figure out why it's doing this? All of my fans are spinning inside of my computer.

I am running Windows XP Pro

2. Flags

Flags

Lord: Go into Control Panel> System Properties.Advanced Tab>System Recovery>Settings.
    Uncheck Automatic restart.

Now when it shuts down, you will get an Error report. Post the error and someone will help you. Or just Google the error and help yourself.

3. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

I can run a debugging utility on the dump files if you do this:

1 > create a new folder on the desktop and call it "dumpcheck" or whatever you like
    2 > navigate to %system%\minidump\minidump and copy the last few minidump files to that folder. They are numbered by date. You can paste that address in address bar to get there.
    3 > close the folder and right click on it and select "Send to (folder name).zip"
    4 > use the "manage attachments" in the "advanced" reply window to upload that zip file here as an attachment.

This might point us to a 3rd party driver causing the error, if one exists for it.

Since almost all bugchecks can be caused by faulty ram, I would recommend you perform memory tests.

Beginners Guides: Diagnosing Bad Memory

Windows Memory Diagnostic
    Memtest86 - A Stand-alone Memory Diagnostic

4. LordPython

Flags: thanks, I have unchecked it and await the restart. However, I must add that it's not a normal restart, it's more of a SUDDEN restart, like all of the sudden my screen will go black and my computer will reboot, without shutting down. When my computer boots back up I get the "Windows has recovered from a serious error" message.

Rollin': Thanks, I have attached my minidump file. I have included the files since Feb 1st. You will see that it happened about 5 times on the 4th.

Attached Files:

5. rebelmusic

rebelmusic

hmmmm....when i recently built a new machine i was having constant restarts. It turned out to be DEP causing all the hassle. Now, this may not be the problem with your machine but its worth a look. Please take note that editing the boot.ini file if not done properly can cause serious damage to your installation.

1: Go My Computer - C:
    2: Open the boot.ini file (if you cant see it you have to enable hidden files)
    3: Change the "/noexecute=optin" to "/noexecute=alwaysoff"

This will turn off DEP (Data Execution Prevention). May be worth a try

6. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

There were a variety of different stop messages:

I can't be very specific about what is causing these. It could be a corrupt disk drive -- you might want to reseat the cabling and run chkdsk on the drive.

Also run eventvwr.msc and look in the System's log for "Disk" errors.

You should also test the ram

7. LordPython

I did a memory test using Memtest86 and it gets to about 75% and then just stops. The info in the middle of the screen just goes away and the "options" at the bottom disappear. The only way to restart it is to turn it off and then back on. Any ideas?

8. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

There's not much going on there but the memory itself -- on which the program code must be shuffled about in order to complete the test.

If you have more than one module -- try just testing one at a time.

Other than the memory the only other thing that might be a likely suspect is the Display card itself.

If you have an integrated graphics chip on the motherboard -- you might try removing the installed card and testing with that.

9. LordPython

Well (and I'm not saying you're wrong) but all of the research I've seen with my errors have been memory related (and one was trojan). I have (1) 512mb stick in my system, so that's all I'm scanning. I did see that with memtest86 there were different tests to perform.... could possibly a different test work better?

I actually have two posts about this. I originally thought they were two different problems, but the more I read about it, the more I realize it's the same problem. I have posted the error code and my HijackThis log in the other thread here: http://forums.techguy.org/windows-nt-2000-xp/552844-hard-drive-always-working.html

10. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

I've posted to your other thread.

If you have had new minidumps and want me to look at them, post them here. You have a different error address on the one you noted in that thread and we might see a malware driver associated with it.

11. LordPython

ok, here are the latest minidump files

Attached Files:

12. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

I need the dump in .zip form -- I don't have a .rar decompressor and don't want to go looking for a free one. The last one I had (power archiver) didn't work.

13. LordPython

ok, here you go

BTW: thank you Rog, for all the trouble you have gone thru to help me :)

Attached Files:

14. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Well I'm afraid these are much like the others, the only drivers named are a core file system driver. Others just point to "memory" or "pool" corruption.

It tends to point to a hardware fault -- bad ram, bad drive, unstable CPU, bad mobo ... etc.

I really think you have a bad memory stick since your memtest failed to complete at all. The drive and all external hardware would not be involved. If not that, then the power supply or mobo itself.

Attached Files:

15. LordPython

I'm guessing it's the memory... I currently do not have the funds to replace it, but as soon as I do, I will... thanks for the help :)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/541272

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice