Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

System rebooting when gaming unsure which component is dying

632 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  crjdriver 
#1 ·
My system is restarting randomly when gaming. There is no BSOD and no crash dump created even though I've got it set up to do so.

Specs:
CPU - AMD 8350
GPU - R9 290
Memory - 8 Gigs Gskill
PSU - SeaSonic Platinum Series 1200w
MOBO - Biostar TA990FXE

My knee jerk reaction was that it must be my graphics card because it only crashes during gameplay, but because the crashes create no dumps and they cause reboots half the time I think it might be a faulty PSU (Which would make me very sad because I bought this PSU because it was in the Tier 1).

Additionally, I've tried underclocking my GPU to solve the issue and that has gotten me nowhere. It seems the time to crash/reboot is independant of graphical settings. I've tested it with DE:MD on ultra settings and medium, and the crash time has been fairly random and independent of the settings. Additionally, a clean install of Windows 10 did not solve it either.

When it crashes and doesn't simply cut to black and reboot, it crashes with a frozen screen and a looping sound.

Temps are very unlikely to be a problem. I've monitored them with MSI and RealTemp.

Does anyone have ANY other ideas on how I can actually diagnose this issue without simply purchasing new components before I can really know whats wrong?

UPDATE:

I've tried running HWMonitor in combination with Prime95, and my system does not crash during it. HOWEVER. Once I let the test run for a while and then stop it, my computer then crashes. I've confirmed this by repeating it 3 times. Additionally, HWMonitor shows my +-12V rails as only putting out 4.9V and -4.8V respectively. I know HWMonitor has its issues but it does give some credit to the bad PSU theory I have.

UPDATE 2:

Installed Furmark and ran it. GPU temps got high until I realized that I didn't have the fan cranked up the whole way. Once I did so the temps fell to reasonable levels. However towards the end of the graph the performance of the card became very unstable, from around 100fps average to 50 or 60. Upon stopping the test the system did not crash or reboot. I ran Prime95 again and ran it for about 15 minutes and then stopped the test. This once again caused the computer to reboot.

See less See more
#2 ·
My first instinct would be that it's the PSU. Looking online though with issues similar to this one, I haven't seen a replacement of the PSU resolve the problem or be the culprit.

You say the screen freezes and then restarts. I'm not sure the elapsed time between those 2 events, but you might check Event Viewer and see if anything got logged that could help. Most of what I'm seeing online is driver issues.

#3 ·
Your 12V rail could not be 4.9; hwm is in error. Your system would not even boot with the 12V rail that low.
On the support page for your mb, you will find Toverclocker. Download and install. This is an overclocking program AND a hardware monitor program. Just use the monitoring part and do not change any settings.
Now post your temps and voltages; specifically cpu temp, system temp, 12V, 5V, and 3.3V values. Do this twice; once under a no load condition and once under 100% load.
Link to your motherboard support page http://www.biostar-usa.com/app/en-us/mb/introduction.php?S_ID=560#download

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.