1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

System recovery instead of restore now my hp compaq laptop is back to factory setting

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by km15, Jan 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. km15

km15 Thread Starter

Hi,
    I hope you can help. I had problems with my laptop and decided to do a restore-but inadvertently did a recovery instead ! Now I am back to all factory settings.
    I was able, however to find my files, pictures and most of all my original user folder under documents and settings.
    But what I can't figure out is how to copy everything to my "current sign on" that was created as a result of the recovery.
    As a result of all of this my laptop is way behind in microsoft updates,,anti virus etc...
    And my biggest problem is that I have a wireless connection thru router. The wireless connection is still there showing my secured connection- however it does not recognize my current IP address - in which I am receiving an error when trying to connect via wireless- "Limited or no connectivity- Invalid IP Address (which is 169.254.15.28) so I think I need to create a new one? I am reluctant to reset my router since I've done this in the past and it has created so many headaches that I have to pay Linksys to help me reset and do firmware updates etc and ultimately recreate a new wireless connection. So I need any help I can get!!

Here is my basic info:

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.1
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, Service Pack 2, 32 bit
    Processor: AMD Turion(tm) 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-50, x86 Family 15 Model 72 Stepping 2
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 958 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce Go 6150, 256 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 68817 MB, Free - 8880 MB; D: Total - 7476 MB, Free - 1053 MB;
    Motherboard: Quanta, 30B7, 65.2C, None
    Antivirus: None**

**I did have an anti virus that was loaded on here and was working until the recovery -Norton Security Suite..now it's not updated.( and not recognized- I think I may have to uninstall and then install again?)
    I also lost access to my printer and all my favs on Internet Explorer.

As I stated above I know have everything that was saved on the laptop prior to recovery but what i cannot figure out is how to move everything over and how to have my wireless connection recognize my laptop again as the only one part of the secure wireless connection.
    Any hints? ideas for me. I am not an expert when it comes to tech stuff..but can navigate thru with some help.
    Thank you and I look forward to some feedback.

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

All your programs and updates will need to be reinstalled just like you bought a new machine. Your personal files, if you found them, can just be moved to whatever folders you want to put them in. All your favorites are gone unless they were backed up. You will need to reinstall the drivers for hardware such as your printer, just like when you first got it.

For the connectivity problem, check Device Manager and see if any devices have problems or need drivers.

3. km15

km15 Thread Starter

Hi,
    ok thanks. just what I thought. As for the device manager. how can i tell that any devices have problems or need drivers? for instance- when i click on modem i see the factory "soft data fax modem" (which I don't use) shouldn't i see my modem installed here as well? thus I need to reinstall.

thanks

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Probelm devices in Device Manager have red or yellow warnings on them and the problem is explained when you look at the properties.

Unknown devices and those designated as "other" need to have drivers installed, too.

The manufacturer's web site should have all the default drivers that you need. But you only need to install those that are missing (or, in the case of your NVidia card, if you need the increased settings and functionality that the manufacturer's drivers give).

Do you see a network adapter installed?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/972420

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice