1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

System recovery problems..

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Blue29, Nov 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Blue29

Blue29 Thread Starter

First i'll start by saying i have windown xp home edition.The problem is with my recovery,when i reboot the computer to get the compaq screen my f10 button wont take me to the system recovery screen..When i go to windows recovery from the logon screen it wont let me do system recovery. I dont know wat else to do. Plz help

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Do you have any CD's or DVD's?

3. Blue29

Blue29 Thread Starter

No my computer has only the windows xp cd's the recovery system is already in the computer..i reboot and when the compaq screen pops up it has the f3 menu and the f10 recovery and thats the only way i can get a full system recovery cause the system recovery on windows when i log in only restores it to a earlier date and i want a complete system restore.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

You have full version XP CD's?

Did the CD's come with the machine? have you used the CD's for any system repairs or changes in the past?

5. Blue29

Blue29 Thread Starter

yes but i only used them to install everything after system recovery.i have done system recovery before from the f10 button but now it wont let me.

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

Usually, the F10 button works through code in the custom MBR created on the drive by the manufacturer. That's why I'm questioning what you have done in the past with other CD's, such as the XP CD. If you have ever booted to the Recovery Console, for example, and used any commands like "fixboot" or "fixmbr", then the custom MBR may be damaged or missing, making the recovery partition unbootable.

This is a general-purpose boot CD (or floppy). It should be able to boot any bootable partition and can bypass the MBR to do so. If your recovery partition is intact, you may be able to boot it using this medium. If you choose the CD format, be sure you burn it as an image. If you do not know what I mean by that, ask.

SGD Boot Disk - This zip file contains both CD and floppy images. This boot disk can hide and unhide partitions, activate partitions, boot Windows or any other OS whether there is an MBR present or not, boot from a second drive, restore Windows boot (equivalent to fdisk /mbr or fixmbr), add or remove GRUB, restore LILO, live-swap drives and more.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!