1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

System recovery/restore problems.

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Foley471, Feb 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Foley471

Foley471 Thread Starter

OK, I just bought a computer at a garage sale (an old p1 MMX 266 chipset running win 98) , and decided to wipe the hard drive and use the system restore CD from my old computer on the new one. formatting the drive went fine, but it won't read the CD on boot-up. I tried to go into the BIOS setup and set it to read the CD, but the BIOS is apparantly password protected and I can't get in. Any idea? anyway I can make a boot disk or download one? I'm completely stuck.

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi and welcome. Some restore cds will only work with the computer that they came with......what does the top of the cd say?

3. Foley471

Foley471 Thread Starter

now that I read the fine print, it does say it will not function with any other computer system... so where does that leave me? Am I stuck going to buy another Windows CD?? is there any way I can get a boot disk or something and then just load up windows of my disk?

4. ~Candy~

Unfortunately, I think you're stuck.......

5. Foley471

Foley471 Thread Starter

damn... fair enough though. well, how do I get into BIOS and make it read the windows CD when I buy it?

6. ~Candy~

Should be a battery on the motherboard you can pop out...leave it out for a few minutes, and the bios should reset to defaults without the password.....if that fails, look for a jumper on the motherboard to clear the CMOS.

7. Foley471

Foley471 Thread Starter

I really appreciate all your help to this point. I pulled the battery and it worked, nomore password. I went and bought a brand new in the box copy of win98 with floppy and CDROM. I put in the startup disc, and it gives me 3 options, I choose number 1 start windows 98 setup with CDROM.

ok, then some loading, it loks like it's doing drivers and such, then the screengoes blank and it says unable to locate windows setup file and it gives me an a: drive prompt. what now?

8. ~Candy~

Well aren't you a fast one ;) To the store and back in less than an hour.......

As the info scrolled by, did you get some happy message regarding the cdrom being found? Does your bios setup allow you to boot to the cdrom? If so, the 98 cd, I think, should be bootable.

Otherwise, at the a: prompt, you should be able to change to the cdrom.....which will move one letter ahead, so if it was D before, it'll be E now....

so try typing:

E:
    and hit enter....does it change to E or error out?

If it changes, then type

setup
    and hit enter.

9. Foley471

Foley471 Thread Starter

yeah, I'm quick like that :)

yes, in the bios setup I can set the boot order. I have it set to c, cdrom,a. default is a,c,scsi. when I tried to load up from the cdrom w/o the disc it gives me an invalid system disc error. could there maybe be a physical error with the cdrom? could it be hooked up wrong? it's set as the primary slave, should it be a secondary master instead?

10. ~Candy~

For simplicity, right now, change it to boot to the a: drive first.

When you choose w/cdrom support....watch the info scroll by....it should tell you it successfully loaded the cdrom......and it should tell you what letter it is assigned.

11. Foley471

Foley471 Thread Starter

OK, it SHOULD be drive F (it used to be drive E:). it will not go to F however. It does allow me to go to drive e: but when I type in setup it gives me not ready reading drive e, abort retry fail. I'm ready to toss this thing out a window :)

12. ~Candy~

Is the bios seeing the cdrom? What does trying to go to F: say? Invalid drive specification?

13. ~Candy~

Crap, I just thought of something.....your cdrom drive may need different drivers.....what's the make/model of the drive?

14. Foley471

Foley471 Thread Starter

f says invalid drive specification. before the blank screen, when it looks like it's loading cd drivers and dos stuff it does tell me that drive e = driver oemcd001 unit 0

15. ~Candy~

Well, it looks like it's recognizing the cdrom. So we're down to two things......the lens are dirty and need cleaning.....or the cdrom is shot.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!