1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

System Recovery to original configuration

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by RunnerMan, Aug 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. RunnerMan

RunnerMan Thread Starter

My husband's Sony Vaio VGC-RB34G suddenly quit while he was using it. The original system is XP with Media Center. A few years I upgraded it and another pc to Windows 7. I managed to access the DOS prompt and rescued data files. However, I could not get it to load Windows 7 all the way without it rebooting.

Not knowing about your helpful site, I tried whatever I could with whatever little knowledge I have to no avail. Had 2 other PC's (laptops) with major issues but managed to get them up and running (one had to be restored to factory settings).

The system is old but my husband only manages the checkbook, emails and surfs the net. So, a new PC would be wasted on him as he has no desire to do anything else. Using the Windows 7 update will allow me to get to the System Recovery Options. There are no restore points that work so I thought about doing a restore to factory configuration and then upgrade to Windows 7.

System Recovery Options
    System Restore requires restarting and selecting the system to restore (which I take it to mean Windows XP) but only Windows 7 appears.
    System Image Recovery: Does that require my image?

I made restore disks when we first purchased the Vaio desktop and had to use them one time but somehow they got misplaced. I recently ordered Sony Vaio VGC-RB34G System Recovery DVDs from RestoreDisks.com but am not sure how to use them under the present conditions.

Startup Repair Dialog

System Disk = \Device\Harddisk0
    Windows directory: = C:\Windows
    AutoChkRun = 0
    Number of root causes = 1

All checks give error code = 0x0
    Root Cause Found
    Boot status indicates that OS Booted Successfully

Would appreciate whatever help you can give. Thanks

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    First of all, when one installs a new OS over an older OS, the System Recover is wiped out.
    It appears that you need to BOOT to the Windows 7 install DVD that you used to install Windows 7 on this machine and go from there.

Where did you get your 2 copies of Windows 7 that you installed on these machines?

3. RunnerMan

RunnerMan Thread Starter

I purchased a Home Edition upgrade for 3 computers...not sure where as it was a about 4 years ago but I believe that it came from Amazon or Costco.

I downloaded the XP version from Microsoft this morning but the PC is stuck trying to load Windows 7 and won't read the CD. Also, won't give me an actual DOS prompt even when I select it from the startup.

4. RunnerMan

RunnerMan Thread Starter

I imagine that I would have to purchase a Windows 7 regular disk but at this point, I am not sure the PC would read it.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Do you still have the Windows 7 DVD? You should be able to boot to that and install.

6. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    The "Home Edition upgrade for 3 computers" is a legal copy and should be able to reuse.
    But if I remember it was for a UPGRADE only.

If you can get XP installed, then you should be able to use the upgrade DVD if you still have it.

You keep saying CD, BUT Windows 7 comes on a DVD, does this machine have good DVD drivers installed?

7. RunnerMan

RunnerMan Thread Starter

Sorry about that. I guess it is a DVD. Previously, it did try try to boot from the DVD drive and was actually trying to install Windows 7 but it seems like it currently is caught in a loop of trying to finish the install but can't. I did go into the system and told it to boot from the DVD drive but it seems to be caught stuck in this loop. Since it can't complete, it reboots.

Thinking about trying to boot from a USB Flash Drive but need more info on how to do that.

I certainly do appreciate the input. You give me incentive to keep trying.

Thanks everyone

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Maybe the hard drive is defective. Best diagnostic would be whatever the manufacturer offers.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1131776

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice