1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

System Recovery

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by c00kie105, Mar 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. c00kie105

c00kie105 Thread Starter

Hi, I'm trying to launch a system recovery through my PC, which is a Compaq Presario, software is windows XP. But im not planning on saving files from the hardware on that computer, but for another one, which is an HP Pavillion PC, Software windows 7. The Hp pavillion computer is the one im wishing to perform windows recovery on, however, that very computer will not boot so i can't take out the files. I am going to have to send the computer (HP one) to the computer store to fix it, but the guy said he will have to clean out everything before he fixes it. So im using my current, working computer, the Compaq Presario to save the files. I took out the hardware from the HP Pavillion and put it into the Compaq Presario. I booted up the computer and it was not booting correctly.. =(

The computer did boot, however, it came up with a screen saying if i would want to launch startup repair(recommended) or just start up my computer normally. When i launched startup repair, there was an error when the computer tried to restore it so it said " start up repair cannot repair this computer automatically, sending more information can help microsoft create solutions. i sent the information and then i pressed finnish and the computer shut down....

When i turned it on and chose to start it up normally, the computer accepted the choice, had a blank screen for about 5-10 seconds and then showed the post screen "Compaq" again and led me to the choice of starting it through repairs or normally again. It basically went in a circle and did not start up my computer normally. If i pressed normally again, it would just do the same thing and return to the menu.

I tried booting in safe mode, and it did the same thing when i chose to start the computer notmally, it led me back to the boot menu.

What can i do to be able to extract my files safely when my HP Pavillion hardware is currently in the Compaq Presario? How can I boot into the computer normally and be able to take my files? Please help, your aswer is crucial, as i need to accomplish this during sprink break while i have the time to repair my computer before school starts. Thank you. :eek:

2. bilcheri

bilcheri

Did you try recovery disc's that came with the computer- they will usually warn you before it erases data. Or is recovery manager (post screen) an option?

Ok if I understand this correctly you have a working desktop with xp on it.
    you tried to boot it up with a hdd with w7- this will clearly not work. All the drivers will be wrong.

Get the working unit functional again get into windows and shut it down again.

take the hdd from the 'broken' computer and add it as a secondary drive to the functional one.

IF it is a sata hdd.---- If the working unit won't accept a sata drive (I assume any system that has w7 does not have ide hdd)(no sata interface on motherboard) then you can't be sucessful- if it does then continue-

Xp may or may not be able to 'see' it. when you boot up.

luckily before you installed it into the case you wrote down the make and model number.

google "drivers for (whatever YOUR model is)" suggest you select the manufacturers website rather than a 'driver store' because you may get a new bunch of evil software friends from a non reputable site.

find your drivers, make a folder and unzip to your desktop. go to control panel install new hardware-

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/913677

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice