1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

System Registry problem

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by thaynes13, Jan 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. thaynes13

thaynes13 Thread Starter

I get this message every time I boot up the computer:

"Windows has encountered an error accessing the System Registry. Windows will restart and repair the registry for you."

I click OK and the computer restarts.

One time after the computer restarted I got a message about there being a problem with the system files and about windows using backup files instead. Whats happening?

I am running Windows 98 and I have run the Norton Antivirus system check, with no viruses found on the system. Thanks for any advice you would have in dealing with this problem.

Thomas

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

One of the more common causes of registry issues like this is faulty ram. You can try a software memory tester, but even if it passes I wouldn't consider the case closed as far as ram is concerned. If you can swap out sticks, that's a better test.

http://www.simmtester.com/PAGE/products/doc/docinfo.asp

To use DocMem, install it to a clean floppy and boot it like a startup disk. Let it run for a couple of "burnin" loops before pressing esc.

A second known issue is in respect to the shutdown processes with large Drives and fast processors. It can go too fast for Windows to complete its write from the cache to the hard drive.

There is a patch available for WinSE ( I don't think it applies to First Edition). Check your Windows Update page for the "Windows IDE hard drive cache package"

The error message can also be encountered if the hard drive is too full and there is insufficient space for the swap file.

And i recall we have seen some recent occurances of this related to ZoneAlarm firewall installations.

3. thaynes13

thaynes13 Thread Starter

Thanks a lot for your help, Rog. First, I downloaded the patch from the Windows Update site as you suggested. This did not help in solving the problem. Then, I checked for faulty ram using the DocMem program. I pressed escape after 4 passed tests (I just left it running for a while while I was away). Changing sticks is not an option as I don't have any spare ones and don't feel comfortable doing anything physical to the computer. I do not have ZoneAlarm firewall, or any other firewall, so I am almost certain that this could not be causing the problem. The last thing that you brought up was the hard drive being too full. I don't think that this could be the problem as I have used only 2.08 GB (out of 3.99). If there are any other possible solutions to the problem I would be much obliged if someone would help me with it. Thanks in advance.

An overview once again of the problem (maybe in a little more detail than the previous):

Every time the computer boots up I get an error message saying the following:
    "Windows has encountered an error accessing the System Registry. Windows will restart and repair the registry for you."
    I click OK and the computer restarts but before it gets into Windows, the blue DOS-looking screen comes up and tells me:
    "Windows found an error in your system files and restored a recent backup of the rules to fix the problem. Press enter to restart your computer"
    So the computer has to restart yet another time before I can get in and start working.

I'm not a real computer wiz so I don't know if this has any significance at all but I typed msconfig into the Run box and clicked the StartUp tab and there was a program there called Scan Registry located at C:\windows\scanreg.exe /autorun. Is this normal or could this be whats causing the problem? Once again it could be completely normal and I'm just being paranoid, it being my first time in the System Configuration Utility options.

???,
    Thomas

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

It's normal for scanregistry to be present and enabled in msconfig. This is the application which checks and backs up the registry on every first boot of the day. You could disable (uncheck) it and avoid the error message, but do this only as a last resort since you will not have any automatic registry backups if you do. However it would still be possible to manually backup the registry by gong to start and running scanregw

But let's see if this is any help. Go to Start>Shutdown and restart in MS-DOS mode. At the c:\windows prompt, enter:

scanreg /fix

Then follow it with:

scanreg /opt

See this link....

http://support.microsoft.com/directory/article.asp?ID=KB;EN-US;Q201655

This sometimes works even though Windows claims to "fix" the registry on its own when you boot up.

5. thaynes13

thaynes13 Thread Starter

I ran the scanreg /fix (it took a long time on the last of the three parts).
    I ran scanreg /opt.
    I restarted...and didn't get an error message. Thanks a lot for your help as I think the problem is solved.

Thomas

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/63749

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice