1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

System Registry, shutdown, reboot faults

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Blue0r, Jan 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Blue0r

Blue0r Thread Starter

hello. i am a new member to TSG and all i can say that the help given in these forums is fantastic so keep up the good work! ok down to business!

I have Windows 98 (1st edition me thinks). I am having major problems with my computer at the moment. Everyday there is a probelem concerning the system registry where i have to load a previously backed up version because there is a fault which keeps on recurring. how do i solve this? Everytime i start up Win 98 just b4 it gets to desktop the win98 screen flashes on the screen and it is distorted. i think there is another problem there also! is there anyway i can sort the registry out so there are no errors. Thing is i want to keep all the files on my comp so formatting the whole comp is out of the question.

When i click Shutdown>restart, the computer closes down the destop but then the screen freezes leaving only the mouse and background. And even worse sometimes a blue screen comes up saying error system is busy. and when i do ctrl-alt-del the screen goes black and there r some dashed white lines across the screen. i cant use the power putton because the screen comes back so i have to turn it off from the mains. which i think damages me computer! please some1 help me sort out this mess that is Win98

2. Blue0r

Blue0r Thread Starter

some1 help me plz

3. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Can you post your software startups? Is the computer stable enough to be able to do that?

Start button, run, then type msinfo32 and hit ok...go to software, startups, edit, select all, edit, copy and come back and paste.

4. Blue0r

Blue0r Thread Starter

Ok i did what u asked. there is no Software but only Software Environment. Anyway here is what i got

RamBooster Registry (Per-User Run) C:\PROGRAM FILES\RAMBOOSTER\RAMBOOSTER.EXE
    msnmsgr Registry (Per-User Run) "C:\PROGRAM FILES\MSN MESSENGER\MSNMSGR.EXE" /background
    Multimedia Keyboard Registry (Machine Run) C:\Mediascape\Multimedia Keyboard\MMKeybd.exe
    ScanRegistry Registry (Machine Run) c:\windows\scanregw.exe /autorun
    TaskMonitor Registry (Machine Run) c:\windows\taskmon.exe
    POINTER Registry (Machine Run) point32.exe

is that right?

5. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Well, I would get rid of rambooster.....those programs never work. I would go to the MSN messenger program and stop it from loading when windows starts, you can launch it when you need it.....

I don't see a virus program running, so I would go here and run a virus scan:

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

6. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Try following the instructions in this article to run scanreg /fix and then scanreg /opt

If that doesn't resolve the problem you need to check for faulty ram.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q201655&ID=KB;EN-US;Q201655

DocMemory can be used to test ram, but its results are not absolutely conclusive. The best test, if possible is to swap out modules one at a time, if more than one is installed. Cleaning the contacts may also be needed.

http://www.simmtester.com/page/products/doc/download.asp

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/114478

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice