1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved System repair disk for recovery?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Novictory, Feb 28, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Novictory

Novictory Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) II X2 250u Processor, AMD64 Family 16 Model 6 Stepping 2
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 3835 Mb
    Graphics Card: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200, 256 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 921 GB (827 GB Free);
    Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0DPRF9
    Antivirus: Avast Antivirus, Enabled and Updated

I do not have a windows installation disk as they are no longer included in purchase of systems. I have everything backed up using Macrium program. I also have a system repair disk which I made in Feb 2017. If I have a system failure and the OS is wiped out or corrupted or whatever, will the repair disk put it back in order or do I use the Macrium backup file for that. Thanks in advance.

2. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Depends if your Macrium backup is a partial backup of important files or a complete system image.

Did you make either a CD/DVD or USB stick from Macrium to boot the computer if Windows won't load?
    If not, make one and test it by booting from it to see that it works.

If Windows will not boot or the hard drive dies, you boot from the CD/DVD/USB that loads the Macrium program. You then would take the image stored on an external device and restore it either to the hard drive that has a problem or a new hard drive placed in that computer.

I also never recommend storing backups or images on a hard drive in the computer. If the hard drive dies, you have lost everything - your Working Windows, all files and programs and all backups.

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    No. It is for repairing "little" errors--such as to repair the boot if an otherwise good system will not boot. Liz already posted a good discussion of image backups.

4. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John
    The MS System Repair Disk will boot the computer, locate your Windows system image ( if one was made ) and install that image.

It can reinstall the factory image located on the hard drive if the drive is still good.

It can also locate a 'restore' and install if Windows won't boot.

5. Novictory

Novictory Thread Starter

Thanks to all. I did a complete Macrium image of my system and created a usb boot. I did the same for win10 laptop. I had a long remote session with a Dell tech person for help with power state failures on the laptop. Additionally, he said the Macrium is for data backups and that I need a recovery usb as well. If the OS becomes corrupted for whatever reason, the Macrium will only reinstall the corrupted OS so need to make a recovery usb to avoid that. Then I guess you go to that usb to reinstall windows OS. I do find this to be somewhat confusing. I thought I was all set with the Macrium backup. I am going to print all of this out so I have something to refer to in case of sytem problems. Thanks again to all.

6. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    I don't use Macrium but I see you can do backups, images and clones.
    https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree
    So the Dell tech is wrong when he said it is only data backups.
    If you have a Macrium image, you should be covered.

If you have a problem you boot from the USB Macrium stick you made, plug in the device where the image is stored and recover the image.

I make monthly images (four Windows 7 computers) so if something goes wrong with an update, I restore the newest image then only have a few program and antivirus updates to do.

7. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    I use Macrium and if you made a full Image of the drive that has Windows on it you should be fine.

Have you tested the Macrium recovery Usb stick you made ? Make sure it boots into the Macrium program.
    You use that to restore the Image and when that's finished the computer will be in exactly the same state as when you made the Image, all programs, settings and data, everything will be restored.

8. Novictory

Novictory Thread Starter

Thank you. That sure helps to clarify things a bit. Your input is what I thought was supposed to happen and that the Macrium image would cover me in the event of a wipeout. I thought I was going to get a transcript of the Dell chat but as yet have not received-- inorder to explain this better. I am quite sure he said that in the event of a system failure, my Macrium backup would reinstall the failed windows OS and that is of no use. He told me to buy a flash drive so that I could create a recovery media and then reinstall a clean copy of windows. The following is from his followup email. (sorry for all of this - you know how to do it I'm sure but I need to present his instructions for clarification for me):
    1. Download the Windows media creation tool from(click on download tool now after you navigate to the link) : https://www.microsoft.com/en-in/software-download/windows10
    2. Copy the same into the USB flash drive on which the recovery media needs to be created and launch the software.
    3. On the What do you want to do? page, select Create installation media for another PC, and then select Next.
    4. Select the Language as English, Select the edition as Windows 10 and architecture as 64 bit( Do not select use recommended options for this PC) and click on Next
    5. Click on USB flash drive, click on Next and then click on the inserted flash drive from the list of options and click on next again.
    6. It will take about 30 minutes for the process to be over and you will get a confirmation message that the recovery media is created successfully. Then insert the USB into the computer you want to reinstall the operating system on(remove all other external USB devices connected to the computer, only the recovery media should be connected).

Being a long-term user but of intermediate skill level, I find all of this daunting. BTW, another forum (Windows10) also said the Dell tech was right which has added to my frustration. Thanks again for your thoughts.

9. Novictory

Novictory Thread Starter

Thank you again. One last question - when I put the reboot usb stick in to test the process, what will happen. Do I have to do anything? Thanks.

10. Novictory

Novictory Thread Starter

ok got it. I did a quick search on booting from usb device - now I remember - did a test long ago. Thanks again.

11. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    The Dell person was correct in saying if you make an Image of a corrupted Windows 10 you will end up with the same corrupted W10 when you restore that Image.
    However if the Image is made from a properly working W10 then if/when you restore that Image it will work properly too.

I would check that you have the latest version of Macrium free (Other Tasks > Check for updates) and make a new restore Usb stick if not (Other Tasks > Create Rescue Media).

As insurance you could make a W10 install DVD/Usb stick now, just in case you're W10 does get corrupted in the future and you can't restore an Image for some reason (very unlikely though).
    You can download W10 and make a Usb stick to install it with here :-
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10
    At the link click the + sign next to 'Using the tool to create ...' for more details
    You could then do a 'clean' install of W10 with that. Unlike an Image restore you would have to re-install all 3rd party programs/apps and make desired changes to Windows settings manually.

12. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    My USB stick allows me to either make or restore an image or if I do nothing, the default will boot into Windows after about 15 seconds.
    I'm not sure what options are in Macrium.
    Test it to be sure it works and see what the options are.

Novictory likes this.
  13. Novictory

Novictory Thread Starter

I did it!! Hooray!! I booted into USB - it took a minute to load Reflect and there it was! I guess at that point, I would plug in the external drive with the backup and choose that for the restore. All worked fine on the win10 laptop. Also checked - do have the latest version of Reflect. Will now check the seven desktop.
    Mr. Liverpool- one last question as to how the process works - "You can download W10 and make a Usb stick to install it with here "using a tool to create" ------------------

just downloads it to the usb but does not install it until you find the need, yes?

Also, presumably the w10 I currently have which has been working fine would be the backup that I would use to restore. I make a new backup once a month. Thanks again.

14. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    Well done. (y)

Yes you download the tool with the link I gave then run it and, with a Usb stick connected (at least 4GB), the tool will download Windows 10 and put the files on the stick and make it bootable, it's all automatic.
    Then if you ever need to do a 'clean' install you boot the stick (just like you booted the Macrium Recovery stick) and it will install Windows 10.

Here's a guide showing how to use the tool and the install process after you boot the stick :- https://www.howtogeek.com/224342/how-to-clean-install-windows-10/

Yes you make an Image (not the same as a backup !) and restore it if necessary and everything will be the same as when you made it.

15. Novictory

Novictory Thread Starter

Many terms to describe this process - should be I make a new image once a month. Very much appreciate your input.

Part II of the Macrium process. On my Win7 desktop, I just booted from the usb. All was working fine until - a message popped up saying backup or restore may not work without the following:
    "Locate INF file for network controller" -- it then went to the Reflect main page. I don't know where to find that file and I am not sure how to proceed at this point. Thank you.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1223726

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice