1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

System Repair Made my 2nd External Drive a SYSTEM DRIVE!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pegs, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pegs

pegs Thread Starter

First Name:
    Peg
    My computer wouldn't boot a couple of days ago and I did a System Repair. It worked, and my computer booted just fine. Now I've noticed in Disk Management that the F:\ partition on my second internal drive has been declared a System Drive!

So I disabled "Hide System Files" and looked at my F:\ drive. There's been a BOOT folder added! How do I fix this? Can I just try to delete the BOOT folder or what?

I'm running Windows 7 Pro.

Please tell me it's something simple.

Peg

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Is this issue associated with the Dell Studio XPS 9000 that you mentioned in this thread?

Your computer has 2 hard drives and not 1 hard drive in 2 partitions?

You did a system repair and not a system restore or a factory reset?

---------------------------------------------------------------

3. pegs

pegs Thread Starter

First Name:
    Peg
    Yes, Frank, It's the Dell Sutdio XPS 9000. My computer has two internal hard drives, divided into two partitions each. It was a "System Repair" that I did. I really wouldn't swear that's when it happened, but the new BOOT folder has the same date as the date that I did the System Repair (Nov. 10), so it just seems logical.

Peg

4. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    My mistake. I was referring to a "startup repair" of Windows 7 - which requires booting from its DVD.

Capture.JPG Capture2.JPG

--------------------------------------------------------------

5. pegs

pegs Thread Starter

First Name:
    Peg
    Hi, Frank! Yes, I booted up to My Windows OS Disk and ran "System Repair". After I did that my computer booted into Windows normally. I only noticed today that it had made my F:\ Drive a System partition.

6. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Did that desktop come with 2 hard drives or did you add a second one later?

I've got no experience with a dual hard drive setup, but I'm guessing the hard drive not containing the Windows operating system should've been disconnected first before doing a repair.

This is just my opinion, but when a Windows operating system gets to a point where it needs a repair, a reinstall and fresh start is usually the best option.

7. pegs

pegs Thread Starter

First Name:
    Peg
    The desktop came with only one drive. I put in the second drive for storage. It's not what you would call a "dual hard drive setup".

I've been thinking about what you said about the fact that the second drive should've been disconnected first -- I didn't know that.

What if I did this: Disconnect the second drive. Boot up with the Windows OS disk and run Startup Repair AGAIN. Don't you think it would correctly set things up? Then I could go back to the second drive and delete that "BOOT" folder.

Does this make sense. I certainly don't want to screw it up, but it seems somewhat logical to me.

Peg

Last edited: Nov 13, 2016
  8. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    You've got a mess that's beyond my expertise, so someone else here is going to need to advise you.

9. pegs

pegs Thread Starter

First Name:
    Peg
    Well.....

ok....

..….this is a little disappointing.
    :notworthy:

10. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    I'm sorry that I can't help you any further.
    I've gotten fairly good with computers during the past 19 years, but there's still a lot about them that I don't know.

--------------------------------------------------------------

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1180917

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice