system rescources

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

inkflesh

ill restart my comp and have 92-94% of available system rescources. Then i'll go on simple little things like check my e-mail once or twice, check out e-bay or chat, and within an hour, my system rescources are all the way down to 25%, 10% or even less. sometimes it will say i have less than 2% available - and im hardly even running anything. and there is nothing running in the background except for a few bare startup essentials. what could be causing this problem?

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Sounds like some programs aren't giving back resources once you end them....when you get that low on resources, do CTRL-ALT-DEL......what's there?

inkflesh

thanks! ill look into that. ill let you know if it works! the suggestions i get in this forum usually ALWAYS work!

There is unfortunately no program or utility I know of that will directly tell you which programs are using resources or are holding resources after they are shut down. You have to keep an eye on them yourself to determine where the resources are going.

I think the first step with resource problems is to update your software. There are several services on the web that will interrogate your system and report what updates are available for your system and link you to the updates. I use : http://updates.cnet.com/ If you are concerned that a shotgun update of all your software might cause a problem then you will have to isolate the app that is causing the problem.

What browser are you using and do you have the latest service pack for it?

The freeware utility that has allowed me to keep track easily is TclockEX: http://users.iafrica.com/d/da/dalen/tclockex.htm
You can configure it to give a two digit readout of user resources to the left of the clock. The two digits give you a much better handle on what is happening compared to the bar graph with the Windows resource meter. User resources are the lesser of system resources and GDI resources, and is the one to use. I removed the year, month and seconds to make it more compact. The yellow bar across the top is CPU use, which can also be handy, and the green bar across the bottom is RAM use which is best ignored unless you understand the cache.

If my resources start running low I start keeping track of what programs are taking what resources when I open them and that they are returning the resources when shut down. Most programs that are hogging resources can be replaced with one that doesn’t if a software update from the maker does not fix it for you.

I take it from your resources at boot that you don’t have a firewall. Once you get the resources under control I would highly recommend you install one as you seem to spend long periods on the web. It is almost essential if you have cable.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online