system resources

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Nova13

Bought a new printer today and several discs came with it. One was the Lexmark printer driver. The others were Kodak Picture Software and MGI Photosuite/Photovista. After setting up the printer, I began installing these other discs. The Kodak one loaded fine, though it took a while. The MGI disc wouldn't load, and there was a message there about low disc space. I had a look at the System Resources and it is 58% free (54% while on the internet). Yet the C: drive has a capacity of 5.98 GB, with 1.80 GB used and 4.17 GB free. The indicated percentage should be a lot higher.

There seems to be a lot of stuff running at start-up and I wondered what I could do there. The following all are checked in start-up:

Yahoo pager
msn msgr
scan registry
task monitor
system tray
load power profile
matrox powerdisk
ensoniq mixer
sound fusion
country selection
pt snoop
real tray
load qm
quick time task
lex start
lx supmon
dcfssvc
load power profile
scheduling agent
win zip quick pick
web shots
office startup
internet call manager
microsoft find fast
KODAK picture transfer software
Kodak live update

It's a Dell Pentium II 450 mhz 192 mb ram Win 98. Thanks for any help.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Nova:

You have way too many programs loading during startup and running in the background that you don't need. ScanRegistry and SystemTray are 2 essential ones that you do NOT want to disable. These 2 sites:

http://www2.whidbey.com/djdenham/Uncheck.htm

http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_pages/startup_full.htm

will assist you greatly in deciding which ones to uncheck and disable. Once you trim down your startup load, your computer will run much better and will have less problems with error messages, freezeups, startup/shutdowns, and slow performance.:D

Frank's Windows 95/98 Tips:)

Nova13

Thanks very much to both of you. Those sites were very helpful. I have unchecked many of the start-up items (for some reason, Country Selection and PTSnoop refuse to remain unchecked). I now have 88% system resources free (sometimes 90%, though I'm not sure why). On the internet, it dips to 72%. Is this all normal and good? If so, thanks.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Nova:

Your starting system resources will always be higher. They get lower as you open and close programs, due to what is called memory leakage. If you have trimmed down that startup load, you should be alright now.:D

Frank's Windows 95/98 Tips:)

Systems resources refers to your RAM, not your HD. That error you are receiving is rather odd and perhaps a defect in the setup util for that software?

At any rate, stay away from installing all that third party crap - you wanted a printer right? Dont bog down your computer with extra progs you dont really need. Keep a lean machine.

Also, go to PC911 and find MaxMem, download it. Use it, configure it sanely and enjoy greater use of your RAM.

Thank me later.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online