1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

system resources

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Nova13, Jan 31, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Nova13

Nova13 Thread Starter

Bought a new printer today and several discs came with it. One was the Lexmark printer driver. The others were Kodak Picture Software and MGI Photosuite/Photovista. After setting up the printer, I began installing these other discs. The Kodak one loaded fine, though it took a while. The MGI disc wouldn't load, and there was a message there about low disc space. I had a look at the System Resources and it is 58% free (54% while on the internet). Yet the C: drive has a capacity of 5.98 GB, with 1.80 GB used and 4.17 GB free. The indicated percentage should be a lot higher.

There seems to be a lot of stuff running at start-up and I wondered what I could do there. The following all are checked in start-up:

Yahoo pager
    msn msgr
    scan registry
    task monitor
    system tray
    load power profile
    matrox powerdisk
    ensoniq mixer
    sound fusion
    country selection
    pt snoop
    real tray
    load qm
    quick time task
    lex start
    lx supmon
    dcfssvc
    load power profile
    scheduling agent
    win zip quick pick
    web shots
    office startup
    internet call manager
    microsoft find fast
    KODAK picture transfer software
    Kodak live update

It's a Dell Pentium II 450 mhz 192 mb ram Win 98. Thanks for any help.

2. steamwiz

steamwiz

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Nova:

You have way too many programs loading during startup and running in the background that you don't need. ScanRegistry and SystemTray are 2 essential ones that you do NOT want to disable. These 2 sites:

http://www2.whidbey.com/djdenham/Uncheck.htm

http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_pages/startup_full.htm

will assist you greatly in deciding which ones to uncheck and disable. Once you trim down your startup load, your computer will run much better and will have less problems with error messages, freezeups, startup/shutdowns, and slow performance.:D

Frank's Windows 95/98 Tips:)

4. Nova13

Nova13 Thread Starter

Thanks very much to both of you. Those sites were very helpful. I have unchecked many of the start-up items (for some reason, Country Selection and PTSnoop refuse to remain unchecked). I now have 88% system resources free (sometimes 90%, though I'm not sure why). On the internet, it dips to 72%. Is this all normal and good? If so, thanks.

5. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Nova:

Your starting system resources will always be higher. They get lower as you open and close programs, due to what is called memory leakage. If you have trimmed down that startup load, you should be alright now.:D

Frank's Windows 95/98 Tips:)

6. HuskerDu?

HuskerDu?

Systems resources refers to your RAM, not your HD. That error you are receiving is rather odd and perhaps a defect in the setup util for that software?

At any rate, stay away from installing all that third party crap - you wanted a printer right? Dont bog down your computer with extra progs you dont really need. Keep a lean machine.

Also, go to PC911 and find MaxMem, download it. Use it, configure it sanely and enjoy greater use of your RAM.

Thank me later.

7. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
  8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/116292

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice