1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

System Resources

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jason G, Oct 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jason G

Jason G Thread Starter

I have an HP pavillion 6635. I just added 128k of RAM (for a total of 191k). After about a half hour to hour surfing the net my system resources are so low (1-3% free) everything slows to a crawl and I have to restart . What is causing this? How can I correct this?

2. Moonshine17c

Moonshine17c

Hi Jason. I take it you mean 128MB Dimm. Your system supports up to 256MB of mem, but will only support DIMM's of a speed of either 66MHz or 100MHz. I am sure the 64MB DIMM already in your system runs at a speed of 100MHz. Make sure both DIMM's are of the same speed.
    Try your system with just the 128MB DIMM in place and see how you get on. If your system improves the get an identical 128MB DIMM as the one you have, this will take you to your maximum upgrade limit, but should improve performance.
    It is something I would try anyway, hope it helps.

3. Moonshine17c

Moonshine17c

My reading into this is insufficient memory. I may be wrong but I might not be, (hopefully). Eventually the memory becomes cluttered with the pages you have been viewing which like a traffic jam will eventually come to a stand still.

4. Jason G

Jason G Thread Starter

My mistake. 191mb of RAM is what I have. That should be plenty (I think). How do i unclutter the memory?

5. Moonshine17c

Moonshine17c

I believe it gathers up, if you right click on Internet Explorer and go in to properties you can delete files which over a period of time have gathered up.
    Did your system work OK with just the 64MB DIMM before. If so try the 128MB itself. For the cost, if that is OK, it may be a problem between the two DIMM's running together. If this is the problem for the cost of another 128MB DIMM it will be worth it.

6. Jason G

Jason G Thread Starter

I was having more problems before. I needed a new power source, and IE kept locking up. I now use Mozilla. I cannot find a temp file in Mozilla to clear out. I like Mozilla a lot better than IE (Has yet to crash)
    At a loose

7. Moonshine17c

Moonshine17c

Is there no type of temp Memory cache in the properties.
    What OS are you using?
    What did you pay for the 128MB DIMM?

8. Jason G

Jason G Thread Starter

There is no Properties, you go under perferences and nothing about cache. Win 98 SE. $40 at Office Max (Kingston KVR133Q/128).

9. Moonshine17c

Moonshine17c

When right clicking on Mozilla icon, what are options in the sub-menu

10. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  11. Jason G

Jason G Thread Starter

What should my cache folder be set at for optimal performance? I tried what was reccomended so hopfully it shall work. thanks for all the help!

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/169901

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice