1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

system restart problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Breez, Oct 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Breez

Breez Thread Starter

I am running XP Pro. When I am on the internet with IE, sometimes, but not all the time, I am getting a system restart. I have Watchdog on and it prompts after the restart to install %systemroot%\system32\dumprep o-k. What is this and how do I stop this restart from happening?

2. ChuckG

ChuckG

Here's what I found:

Windows Error Reporting Dump Reporting Tool. Found on Windows XP/2003. It shows as a startup item whose execution line usually reads as "KernelFaultCheck" %systemroot%\system32\dumprep 0 –k. DUMPREP creates memory dump reports that you can send to Microsoft if you answer "Yes" when prompted to send such reports. In our experience this entry only shows up for the first time after your PC has experienced a Windows XP "dump" crash, or an Office XP or Internet Explorer 6 crash where you were prompted about sending the crash results to Microsoft.

Recommendation :
    It is our experience that having Error Reporting set to ON only causes more crashes. The mind boggles at this : in both Netscape and Internet Explorer our experience shows that if you turn error reporting ON, you will crash often in either browser, if not sometimes always !! You’ve guessed it, avoid Error Reporting like the plague. In both Windows XP and Windows 2003 turn it OFF by opening the SYSTEM icon in the Control Panel, choosing the ADVANCED tab, and then clicking on Error Reporting.

http://www.answersthatwork.com/Tasklist_pages/tasklist_d.htm

3. Nvisible

Nvisible

Best thing to do I run Opera and it use to dump all the time becouse XP does not support Opera so it wanted to dump it all the time telling me I had a error I turned reporting off and have not had a problem in 6 mo.

4. Breez

Breez Thread Starter

That didn't do it guys, but I have been wondering about that. I'm on IE doin my own thing and out of the blue, system shutdown!! When the reboot occurs, watchdog asks if I want to install "%systemroot%\system32\dumprep o-k". It's driving me crazy. It happened about 20 times today. Please help.

5. ChuckG

ChuckG

Breez- I would check these things for a fix to this problem:

1. Heat- When was the last time you had your case opened and cleaned out all the dust? Make sure you get the dust off those fans.

2. Run Adaware and Spybot- Spyware can also cause rebooting. What do you have starting in MSCONFIG? What does your Task Manager show?

3. Virus- Run a full virus scan with up to date definitions and see if anything turns up.

4. Watchdog- Turn this thing off. It's just something else running in the background.

If the problem is not heat related, then it's probably something running on your machine that you don't know about. Also, have you installed any new hardware or software lately?

6. Nvisible

Nvisible

True Heat could be a factor and Watchdog is just a gimic nothing that Norton or Mcafree will not do with updated def. If you are running Norton system works and have installed all the features you might want to open the program called. Process viewer this will tell you everything that is running on your computer even stuff that task manager will not show you. It will also show you the location of the process as well as an option to search out the process among the web to find out what it is. Then you can use the program to permantely shut down the process so it will not execute on restart or logon.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/171617

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice