1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

System Restor Freeze

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by noemi13, May 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. noemi13

noemi13 Thread Starter

I think our home computer got a virus so my dad tried to fix it by running the system recovery. It went through all the steps fine, asked if I wanted to restart or shut down. Chose to restart the computer, a blue screen came out asking me basics like the time zone and if I wanted to name the computer and so on. once everything was done it went into the Windows Black Welcome screen and below it it said please wait. I waited 8 HOURS and nothing. It just froze there. We turned it off and tried turning it on again but it only stated that the System Restore is not complete and there is no where to go from there. I believe it restarts on its own but freezes after.

I have no idea what to do. Is the computer a lost cause or can it be fixed? Thanks.

( The computer is a HP Pavilion a1129n / Windows XP )

2. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor

Hi and welcome.
    What Cd's were used to run the system recovery?
    Do you have the full Xp install Cd?

3. flavallee

flavallee Frank Trusted Advisor

Here is the support site for the HP Pavilion a1129n desktop - which was released in June 2005 and came with Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 SP2 pre-installed.

Are you using the computer's built-in recovery partition(if it has one) or are you using a recovery disc kit?

Are all optional external devices(printer, external hard drive, etc.) disconnected?

--------------------------------------------------------------------

4. noemi13

noemi13 Thread Starter

We do not have the disk anymore, we used the built in recovery. Do I have to disconnect the Internet, keyboard? Things like that?

5. blues_harp28

Always best to disconnect external devices, printer, external hard drives etc before a re-install or recovery.
    But, it looks like the recovery did not work correctly.

Will it boot to Safe Mode - tap f 8 as the Pc is starting up?

6. noemi13

noemi13 Thread Starter

Tried doing the System Restore again and after everything was complete a message came up saying " Cannot Create File c:/hp/bin/SetRes.log. " I do not know if it will start on Safe Mode. Will try right now.

It doesn't start on Safe Mode, says system is not fully installed.

7. blues_harp28

8. flavallee

flavallee Frank Trusted Advisor

I doubt if HP will still have a recovery disc kit available for a desktop that old.

It looks like you can purchase it from here for $27.00 plus shipping. (y)

----------------------------------------------------------------

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1053480