1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

System Restore 3rd Party Options

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by golferguy, Jan 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. golferguy

golferguy Thread Starter

Good day all! My system restore is not working as advertised. Is there a program out there that I can use instead? Thanks

Golferguy

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Any chance that we could know the Windows version?

3. golferguy

golferguy Thread Starter

My apologies, been away from the computer. I have XP. I've run AVG antispy, AVG anti-virus, spybot, and Adaware. All sy no problems.

Golferguy

4. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

When you say "not working as advertised" could you be a bit more specific?

System Restore will only restore Windows operating system files, not data files, documents or downloaded files.

If a file store becomes corrupt (and it does occasionally happen) then the restore will always fail as the restore uses a sequential process, an earlier corrupted restore may prevent any subsequent one from working.

In that case turn System Restore off, revboot and tuen it back on - that will purge all old restore points (with any corruptions or not) and it should start anew.

5. golferguy

golferguy Thread Starter

Kiwiguy, here you go. When I had a minor snafu I went to restore to an earlier date. All appeared to be going as it should. However, when I went to any profile a message window came up that said unable to restore to (chosen date/time) etc. I chose 3 other restore points (mine and system) from varous times. If I need an HJT Log or anything else, let me know and I'll repost. Thanks.

Golferguy

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/537097

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice