1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

System restore and now can't update Windows

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by libbybits11, Mar 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. libbybits11

libbybits11 Thread Starter

Ok, I have a million year old computer but it's all we need right now. Unfortunately, something weird starting happening and I couldn't fix it. So, after a whole restore to factory new, I am having problems getting Windows to update. This in turn causes problems trying to get alot of programs back on the system.

When I click the Windows update in the startup it takes me to the Windows update page but, then gives me an error and isn't really clear as to how I can fix it. I assume I need SP2 or something since when I tried to download Avira it said as much. However, the Windows update page has been of no use and I don't know what I specifically need or where to get it.

I have been able to load IE8 and a few programs like Yahoo Messenger and crapcleaner etc but, I do not want to load up too much til I know that Windows is updated. Any suggestions?

I have WindowsXP Home I believe, IE8. When I go to the Windows Update page, this is what I get after I select either option (custom, express) for updates:

The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you are trying to view. The options provided below might help you solve the problem.

For self-help options:
    For assisted support options:

This error code appears on the right hand side ([Error number: 0x80244019) but, when I go to "find solutions" and type that code in I get:

HTTP Error 500 - Internal Server Error.

There is a problem with the page you are looking for, and it cannot be displayed.

Please try the following:
    • Contact the Web site administrator and inform them that this error has occured for this Web page address.
    Read more about steps you can take to resolve this problem (error number 0x8DDD0010) yourself.

I am at a loss and so not tech savvy so, an idiot step-by-step for me would be greatly appreciated!

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, Service Pack 2, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.40GHz, x86 Family 15 Model 3 Stepping 4
    Processor Count: 1
    RAM: 1021 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) 82865G Graphics Controller, 96 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 72645 MB, Free - 66066 MB;
    Motherboard: Dell Computer Corp., 0N6381
    Antivirus: PC Cleaner Pro, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Disabled

2. captainron276

captainron276

First Name:
    Ron
    PC Cleaner Pro could be the problem. Please consider this post from one of our trusted advisers/Tech's.

Also, according to the TSG System Info, you have SP2 already, just need to get SP3.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/service-packs-download#sptabs=xp

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    The Windows Update site is not going to work until you install the SP3 upgrade.

Download and save the full 316 MB-size upgrade from here.

After that's done, close all open windows first, then double-click the saved file to start the upgrade process.

------------------------------------------------------

You really should get Windows XP up-to-date before you install a bunch of programs and extras in that computer.

Once the SP3 upgrade is installed and you go to the Windows Update site, there should be over 100 high-priority updates to install.

------------------------------------------------------

4. zekegonzalez

zekegonzalez

Yeah-yeah, totally, the same thing was happening with me, 80244019 and come to find out the Frank is right on the money about the Service Pack 3 requirement. Yeah, download it - run it - and get ready to install a ton of updates after that.

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    I resurrect and upgrade older Windows XP computer on a regular basis, so I'm very familiar with the upgrade process and the steps needed and the time needed to get Windows XP up-to-date.

Not starting out with a Windows XP SP3 disc adds an hour or more to the upgrade process.

----------------------------------------------------------

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1093482

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice