1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

System Restore Checkpoints Very Rare

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by David McKeal, Jul 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. David McKeal

David McKeal Thread Starter

My System Restore Checkpoints occur very infrequently (2 in June) despite the fact that I have 6 gigs of space allocated. I get checkpoints when I make changes (new apps etc) but the ones that I think are supposed to occur automatically daily happen only rarely. The two in June are clearly marked "System Checkpoint" so these would be the automatic ones, but I don't understand why I am not getting one daily. I read in one of the posts that the System Restore operation may be affected by a new install (repair) of Windows XP. I had to do this several months ago, if that matters. Thanks for the help. Dave

2. bicycle bill

bicycle bill Banned

I only had two checkpoint restore points in June. YOu probably don't have a problem.

How does System restore work?

Windows XP periodically records a snapshot of your computer. These snapshots are called restore points. Windows XP also creates restore points at the time of significant system events (such as when an application or driver is installed) or you can create and name your own restore points at any time. If you’ve installed a program that has made your computer unstable, you can open system restore, choose a restore point, and return your computer to its previous stable state.

When you run System Restore, a calendar is displayed to help you find restore points. If you don't use your computer every day, some days might not have any restore points. If you use your computer frequently, you might have restore points almost every day, and some days might have several restore points.

3. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

A System Checkpoint is attempted every 24 hours and requires that the Task Scheduler service is running.

(previous answer confused CP with prefetch and defrags)

4. bbearren

bbearren

I don't use System Restore--too many limitations, and too many "oops. I have it turned off on my machines, and use disk images for backups instead.
    I would advise you to test your System Restore points from time to time (they are said to be completely reversible) to make sure they work. System Restore doesn't give you any alerts to tell you something's wrong until you try to Restore.

5. Jack Hackett

Jack Hackett

Maybe that the relevant registry entry isnt set to create on every 24hrs (86400 seconds)
    Using regedit
    Check that the decimal value for DWORD RPGlobalInterval is 86400
    located in this reg key
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SystemRestore

Usual precautions apply when working with the registry!!!

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!