Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  TerryNet 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm experiencing three problems at the same time with my Windows XP, one involves System Restore, one of the problems involves a networking issue (connecting to the internet) and the other involves a web/email issue (Google account). I'm at my wit's end with these problems, so please help me!

I don't know if the forum rules allow me to post this thread in the other TechGuy forums, so I'm posting it here since all three problems are occuring on this XP desktop computer. Moderators, please let me know if I can post this to the other forums too.

The three problems are:
  1. System Restore fails no matter which Restore Point I select. It doesn't work in Safe Mode and turning off Avast Antivirus' "self defense module" does not make any difference.
  2. Internet connection speed is getting progressively slower. It no longer reaches its former speed of 45.2 kbps. It dropped to 24.6 kbps, and now today it is at 24.0 kbps.
  3. Unable to sign-in to my Google Account, because JavaScript is not detected.

Computer Details:
System:
Windows XP Home Edition (Service Pack 3)
Modem: Agere V.92 Data+Fax Modem Version 8.31
Connection Type: Dial-Up Internet
Internet Explorer: 8.0.6001.18702
Google Chrome: 34.0.1847.137 m
Antivirus: Avast Antivirus

This is going to be a long post, but I'll try to summarize the events and what happened on the following dates:

February 21st:
  • Updated Avast Virus Definitions in the early afternoon. I turned off the computer after updating.
  • Turned on the computer in the evening, and the dial-up connection window appeared on start-up, prompting me to connect to the internet. This doesn't normally happen.

February 23rd:
  • Ever since the 21st, every single time I turned on the computer, the connection window would pop-up on its own.
  • I checked the Avast Antivirus settings, but I already had it set to manual updates instead of automatic, so that couldn't be it.
  • I haven't installed anything new or changed any settings, so I don't know what was prompting the computer to connect on its own.

February 24th:
  • I used System Restore to roll-back the settings to the February 15th restore point.
  • The problem was resolved! The computer stopped trying to connect to the internet on start-up.

April 21st:
  • Completed a Full System Scan with Avast.
  • When connecting to the internet later in the day, I could only get a speed of 24.6 kbps.
  • I tried disconnecting and redialing for my usual speed of 45.2 kbps, but I keep getting the slower speed of 24.6 kbps.
April 24th:
  • I'm still only getting 24.6 kbps. If I disconnect and redial I sometimes get 24.0 kbps or 37.2 kbps, but most often it is 24.6 kbps.
  • Checked the phone line, it's working normally (no background noise), and everything is plugged in securely.
  • I assumed something in the settings must have changed, so I tried to use System Restore again.
  • When the computer restarted after using System Restore, I got this message "System Restore did not complete successfully. No changes were made to your computer."
  • I tried again using other Restore Points, but it fails no matter what date I choose.
  • I restarted the computer in Safe Mode, and still all Restore Points failed.
  • I try to sign-in to my Google Account to email someone for advice, and I get this message:
"The browser you're using doesn't support JavaScript, or has JavaScript turned off. To keep your Google Account secure, try signing in on a browser that has JavaScript"
  • JavaScript is already enabled. My family shares this computer and all of our accounts are getting this message, except one account which works just fine!
April 25th:
  • I tried System Restore again, this time while Avast's "self defense module" was deactivated, but System Restore still doesn't work.
  • Connection speed is now 24.0 kbps. It's getting slower.
  • Instead of signing-in while using Internet Explorer, I tried using Google Chrome. Despite having JavaScript enabled on both browsers, I still get the same message about JavaScript being turned off.
  • I ran a Network Diagnostic for Windows XP (C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.xml). These were the results:
Network adapter status
info Network connection status: Media disconnected
warn Network adapter status not healthy
action Manual repair: Reconnect network cable
info User has reconnected the network cable
info The network adapter is in a transient status, retrying...
warn Network adapter status not healthy
info Redirecting user to support call
info Redirecting user to support call

HTTP, HTTPS, FTP connectivity
info HTTP: Successfully connected to www.microsoft.com.
warn FTP (Passive): Error 12031 connecting to ftp.microsoft.com: The connection with the server was reset
warn HTTPS: Error 12029 connecting to www.passport.net: A connection with the server could not be established
warn FTP (Active): Error 12031 connecting to ftp.microsoft.com: The connection with the server was reset
warn HTTPS: Error 12157 connecting to www.microsoft.com: An error occurred in the secure channel support
error Could not make an HTTPS connection.
error Could not make an FTP connection.

• I have no idea what the above diagnostic means, and I don't know if it has anything to do with the three problems I'm currently facing.
So this is where I am now. I don't know what's wrong with my computer and I don't even know what to do or who to call to resolve this.

Any help and advice you can provide would be appreciated.

Thank you,

- Unlucky Pete

See less See more
#3 ·
I've been running Windows XP Professional SP3 32-bit for testing purposes for a very long time, so I'll give you my 2 cents worth of advice.

As long as you use a "snail's pace" 56K dial-up connection, you're going to have connection problems.
And you're going to have problems loading webpages, installing updates, and performing other on-line functions.

The Internet Explorer 8x browser is very outdated and is no longer supported by most websites.

The Google Chrome 34x browser is also very outdated and has the same issue.
An up-to-date version of Google Chrome can't be used because support for Windows XP was stopped over 2 years ago.

The only up-to-date browser that still supports Windows XP and will load most websites is Maxthon Cloud Browser 5.2.7.2000.

The Avast Free Antivirus app dropped support for Windows XP several months ago, so you're likely using an outdated version.
Besides that, you may have less connection issues if you uninstall it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

#4 ·
I suppose I'll have to look into finding a faster internet connection within my budget.:(

I tried signing-in to my Google Accounts from a different computer today, this one is a Windows 10, and was able to access my account without any problems, so it looks like the issue is with my Windows XP computer.

I also tried unplugging the phone line cable for 30 seconds before reconnecting it to the computer, but it hasn't had any effect on my connection speed.

Some more questions:

• Is there a reason why my dial-up connection is getting slower? Last week I was still getting my usual 45.2 kbps, but now it's always 24.0 or 26.4 kbps. Will replacing the modem or the cable fix this issue?

• I'd prefer to keep running Windows XP since some of my old programs won't run on Windows 7 or higher (also I really like it). Are there any webmail services that will still work with Windows XP, preferrably that don't require a phone number for authentification? I've recently read that Google Accounts no longer work with XP.

• What could be the cause for System Restore no longer working? Is it a sign of an infection, file corruption, or something else, and how can I fix it?

• Are the old System Restore Points capable of being saved / repaired, or are they permanently damaged?

Thanks,

-Unlucky Pete

#5 ·
Is there a reason why my dial-up connection is getting slower? Last week I was still getting my usual 45.2 kbps, but now it's always 24.0 or 26.4 kbps. Will replacing the modem or the cable fix this issue?
My guess is that the modem is wearing out. But it could also be the overall system (see below). And, yes, it could be a cable problem.

What could be the cause for System Restore no longer working? Is it a sign of an infection, file corruption, or something else, and how can I fix it?
I have no idea about the specific cause. It was my experience with XP that it managed to get corrupted over time and a fresh install was the best and surest cure. Once I got two or more problems that seemed to have no specific cause nor cure I grabbed my installation CD and got to work. With a GB of memory an install every two or three years worked for me. With less memory more frequent installs were needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.