Solved System Restore Corrupts the Group Policy

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

sue4635

Please refer to my previous thread "Corrupt Administrator Account" because I think it's related.

I was prompted to install an update to iTunes and it failed when I ran it. Next tried to restore from a couple of restore points and it failed, saying that a file was open, probably from my antivirus software.

Then I downloaded the latest iTunes and tried to install it. It wouldn't work until I followed Apple's instruction to install Microsoft KB2999226. Then I could install it using the "repair iTunes" option. Created a new restore point, "after iTunes".

Since creating the "Sue" user that I'm now using I have never tried a restore. So I decided to test my "after iTunes" restore point and restore from it. Wouldn't work. Got these fatal errors in Event Viewer:
Distributed Com event id 10016
VDS Basic Provider event id 1

Booted to safe mode with cmd prompt and ran rstrui.exe to restore my "after iTunes" restore point. It completed successfully BUT on reboot I got logged in with a temp profile. Rebooted, got logon screen, chose "Sue" account. Got message:
"The Group Policy Client service failed the logon. Access is denied."

Tried my two other accounts "Roger" and "xfer data user." Same result.

What do I do now? I saw some articles about using regedit to disable group policy. One of the articles is http://www.computerstepbystep.com/group_policy_windows_7.html
which says to enter this at cmd prompt:
REG add "HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\MMC\{8FC0B734-A0E1-11D1-A7D3-0000F87571E3}" /v Restrict_Run /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

Would this fix my problem? I don't care about security on this computer. It is a home computer and I'm the only one who uses it.

Thank you so much.

Sue

Have you tried doing a System Restore from within Safe Mode? Say back to a time prior to the original issue. If it works I suggest you stop using System Restore from within the Windows environment and always use Safe Mode. XP SP3 is the same way as Win 7 SP1 for some reason MS has messed up the Safe Mode operation from within Windows. When using System Restore I always do it from Safe Mode now and I haven't had a failed restore since. You can also try "Last Known Good Configuration" from the Safe Mode Screen but playing with the registry can be dangerous.

sue4635

I took your advice and tried several restores from safe mode with command prompt.
None were successful. I got logged on with a temp profile afterwards with 3 different restore points. Then if I rebooted and selected the "Sue" user I got the error message about the Group Policy client service failed.

On two of the restores I got the Group Policy client service failure without any message about being logged on with a temp profile.

I think this is a problem left over from my previous thread "Corrupt Administrator Account."

I miss the Win XP Pro non-destructive reinstall. It was a life saver for me more than once. But MS in its infinite wisdom usually trashes good things like that and replaces them with crap. If you have not created a Win7 repair disk (crap) prior to this happening or can't get in to make one and try it from a cd boot, I suspect your looking at a complete reinstall. Have you ever done an sfc /scannow on this system? You could try that from safe mode. You don't have to select safe mode with command prompt (for System Restore either for that matter) Just choose Safe Mode alone, go to start > all programs > accessories and right click on the command prompt icon and select "run as administrator". Once there type SFC /SCANNOW note the space between the command (SFC) and the switch (/SCANNOW) I don't know if it will fix the administrator issue but its supposed to check all system files and repair any corruption. If you end up having to do a complete reinstall consider buying a new hard drive just for that, removing the old one before installing XP to use as a secondary drive after the new OS install. That way all your files on the old drive will still be there. I don't know what else to tell you. How the heck do you run system restore from safe mode with command prompt? The only time I ever loaded that choice it came up as the command prompt window only with no access to other programs or utilities.

sue4635

I have used sfc in the past and will try sfc /scannow now..

I have a system repair disc which I created in 2013 before installing SP1 of Windows 7. Do you think I can use it? It has these files on it: boot.wim, boot.sdi, bootfix.bin, bcd, and bootmgr. It doesn't have the "Sue" account that I am presently using.

Win 7 System repair discs kind of scare me. I have never actually used one so I don't know first hand what they can or cannot do. Using a repair disc created prior to installing SP1 to repair an SP1 OS scares me even more. If you have no choice I'd say try it. It might refuse to run or take you back to prior to SP1 and require you to rerun the update. For that matter I think I would probably rerun SP1 update after the repair if it succeeded just to be sure. I have rerun stuff before like directx or visual basic redist with no issues. Back when I was using the non-destructive install of XP one of the benefits was a complete system install from the original disk but without effecting your data or installed programs. That required you to re-enter your serial and re-setup your accounts and passwords but since Win7 doesn't have the same think I couldn't tell you what would happen. For all I know it would just overwrite your entire system leaving all your data in the dust. You might consider doing a search for "Windows 7 non-destructive reinstall" and look for a link to "The Langda letters. That's the site where I first learned about the XP function. I'm sure it won't be as simple as XP was, so you may have to make a copy of the directions to follow when your PC is in repair mode to make things easier.

sue4635

I have not tried my system repair disc or sfc /scannow yet.

I found a windows system image backup from 7/29/2106. This is after I installed SP1. I have uploaded a list showing the contents of this backup. It does not include user files. Could this be of any help? Again, it's from before I created the "Sue" account but if it brings the "roger" account back to life I can go back to using that account (referred to in my "Corrupt Administrator Account" thread).

Thank you.

Attachments

I looked at the list but it means nothing to me as is. What is the size of the backup image? If the backup image is small like in megabytes its probably not a full backup, if it is close to the size that your C drive is now it may be useful. There were just too many 0 bytes in that list and too few files as well, with directories not shown at all. If you can't access the system you won't be able to see the size of the C drive though. If I remember correctly a new Win7 install is over 6 Gigabytes.

sue4635

The contents of the windows system image backup from 7/29/2106 is 25.2 GB. How do you recommend that I use this image? Presently my C drive is 40.7 GB. It is a Solid state disk containing only the OS files.

You asked how I ran a system restore from cmd prompt. I did it by running the command "rstrui".

To use the image you first have to know what was used to create it. I myself use Acronis True Image and my Image files have the extension .TIB. I have never used Windows backup so I don't off hand know what file extension they associate with that utility. I did a little searching and I think they are .VHD files. Here is a page with some info about using the feature.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Backup_and_Restore
and the Microsoft page
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17127/windows-back-up-restore
Remember going from 40 gig to 25 means you will lose some data but probably not 15 gig, since most backup images are compressed. Did you ever try the sfc scannow?

sue4635

To create the image on 7/29/2016 I ran sdclt.exe. My notes don't say whether I ran it from a cmd prompt or in safe mode. The actual backups in filelist.txt are .vhd files. I went into disk management and tried to attach them but could not.

Today I ran sfc /verifyonly from cmd prompt in safe mode and I got "did not find any integrity violations."

The link I gave you above:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17127/windows-back-up-restore
shows step by step how to access the backup utility and point to the backup file you want to restore. What you want is the instructions for RESTORE about half way down the page. The Backup and Restore utility in Win 7 is directly under the Control Panel ( not System and Maintenance) when View is set to small icons (upper right). Now for the Warning... If something goes wrong and the restore fails, prepare to cry. I really feel for you, especially since no one else seems to be here for you. If I had a nickle for every time I had to reinstall Windows because things didn't work right, I could buy a six pack of beer (going back to Win98se anyway). You might consider doing your backup from Safe Mode just for a little extra piece of mind, that is if Windows will allow it. Not all things can be run from Safe Mode. You might also consider trying System Restore the regular way before you try the backup. Go into regular Safe Mode (no command prompt since that won't let you run as admin anyway). In the search box type System Restore. When you get there it should actually show you a sort of calendar you can use to determine just where you want to go back to. Windows has a limited amount of space set aside for restore files, anything past that point deletes the oldest point to make room. Good luck!

sue4635

Today I was able to attach the VHD file from 7/29/16 by using the dis kpart command at the command prompt. I copied the windows\system32\config\systemprofile\ntuser.dat (modified 9/1/15) to the d:\users\roger folder (after renaming the ntuser.dat file that was already there). Then when I rebooted and chose the Roger account it hung. I had to power off the PC. Then after reboot I put the original ntuser.dat file back in place for the Roger account.

I found another backup from 4/12/2013 that is 172 GB and has the extension .tib. It was created with the Seagate Backup Wizard before installing a 2TB drive and moving the user data there.

I am losing my confidence in proceeding with this problem by myself. I am going to take my PC
to a repair technician. I appreciate all the help you've provided.

I see your working from the command prompt again. I wish you would follow my instructions from the previous post and go into safe mode without the command prompt and attempt a System Restore. If it works you will have all your issues resolved. Just pick a point as far back as it will allow. Preferable a point before all this stuff occurred. Why you insist on using the command prompt when Windows has automated the restore function is beyond me. And with restoring the vhd file the same thing, the automated way would be in Safe Mode (no command prompt) control panel > backup and restore > backup and restore your files. If nothing shows there you can browse to the location of the file and choose it that way. I suspect this is what any technician will try first.

The 2013 tib file from the Seagate Backup is actually an Acronis True Image backup file, since Seagate uses the Acronis utility re-branded with their name. Since its from 2013 and 3 years older it might get you back working but to a much older system. In order to use it though you would either have to have the Seagate utility installed on the C drive to access from Safe mode or have created a backup emergency boot disk. Even an Acronis boot disk would recognize the tib file and attempt to restore it. The problem is what has changed in your PC since 2013? Have you changed any hardware etc. Also since the image was created before you moved the user data it would not be on the image and would be lost and certainly may not fit on your SSD anyway. If you get your system running again you can access the tib file either with the original Seagate utility or Acronis by mounting the image and viewing the data though either utility would have to be installed first. Then by opening the utility (don't try right clicking > mount it will probably fail after a few minutes) you can select to mount an image and browse to the tib file and see what's there you might want to save. All those files can be copied over to your hard drive.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online