1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

system restore disabled

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by avgh, Jan 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. avgh

avgh Thread Starter

my computer (XP home with all service packs) suddenly rebooted itself, stopped at the welcome screen and rebooted itself again - and again etc. Entering safe mode I find that the system restore option is switched off and I have no idea how to return to normality from here as you cannot switch it on from safe mode. Any ideas???? AVGH

PS I seem to be able to access both disks from Safe mode.

2. domasmak

domasmak

If you can boot into safe mode, open up command prompt (or boot into safe mode with command prompt) and run a checkdisk (type chkdsk) if it comes up with errors found and it cannot continue in read only mode; type chkdsk /r it will say do you want to run checkdisk next time the computer starts, press y and reboot the machine. It might fix the problem, otherwise if you have the installation media, boot from the CD and run a repair of the Operating System.

3. surferdude2

surferdude2

Also try booting in Safe Mode With Command Prompt and typing:

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe and press enter. Sometimes that will work when the GUI won't.

Another interesting thing to remember, although System Restore can do the restore function in safe mode, it cannot create restore points.

4. Focke

Focke

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/974440

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice