1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved System Restore Does Not Complete

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by dougglos, Jul 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dougglos

dougglos Thread Starter

First Name:
    Douglas
    Having now been successfully given a great deal of help with two major problems recently, (Windows 10 Updates not completing, and Windows Defender not functioning) I am virtually right up to date with the various problems I have experienced over the past few weeks. But a final problem still exists, that being the inability to run a successful System Restore. I have tried several times, using different restore points, but the end result is always the same, viz., "System Restore did not complete successfully. An unspecified error occurred during System Restore (0x80070005)."

I believe that this indicates "Access is Denied" but unfortunately I do not know how to fix that. Any help would again be appreciated, as this is now the only problem I am experiencing with my PC. Thanks.

2. AmateurJohn

AmateurJohn

First Name:
    AmateurJohn
  3. dougglos

dougglos Thread Starter

First Name:
    Douglas
    Simply using Defender, so tried all your other four recommendations in turn. Unfortunately no success with any of them!

4. jenae

jenae

Hi, make sure all relevant services (services.msc) are set to start automatic (not manual) and try restore in the RE , press restart button whilst holding down "shift' key, windows boots to the RE, select "troubleshoot" then "advanced" then "System restore", before this look through this:-

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/12-tips-fix-windows-system-restore/

AmateurJohn likes this.
  5. dougglos

dougglos Thread Starter

First Name:
    Douglas
    Sorry, you are obviously a lot more computer experienced that I am!

1. How can I tell which are relevant services in services.msc, as there are dozens listed, and

2. What does "RE" mean ?

6. bobcat5536

bobcat5536

Also a couple of things you can try are:
    1. Check to see how much space you have allocated and if it needs to be increased or not.
    2. Sometime you can fix it by turning it off and clearing it all out and turning back on.
    All restore points will be lost, so do so when it's running okay.

7. dougglos

dougglos Thread Starter

First Name:
    Douglas
    bobcat5536 - 1. Re safe mode - see post #3
    2. More than enough space allocated
    3. Tried that - no effect !

8. dougglos

dougglos Thread Starter

First Name:
    Douglas
    Jenae - Followed your suggested routine (Troubleshoot / Advanced / System Restore) and after about twenty minutes the following message appeared:- "System Restore Completed Successfully" !! Couldn't believe my eyes, but that has certainly worked. What I will do now is to create a new restore point tomorrow, wait a day or so and run System Restore again. Hopefully that will be the end of it!

I will, of course, report back with the result in two days. In the meantime, thanks so much for your suggestion, and best regards.

AmateurJohn likes this.
  9. jenae

jenae

Hi, sorry, I meant you to read the link I attached, in it it tells you what services have to be running, for SR to work. They are:-

Microsoft Software Shadow Copy Provider Service
    Task Scheduler
    Volume Shadow Copy

Volume shadow copy can be set to manual and fail to start in normal mode, so set all of these services to start automatically. Restart computer and try a restore from within windows.

10. dougglos

dougglos Thread Starter

First Name:
    Douglas
    Yes, I have made sure these three services are now all showing as "Running, and Automatic" and I have saved them as such. I don't know whether this will have any effect on the results I indicated in my post #8, but at least the problem seems to have been corrected now. As mentioned, I will report again in a couple of days. Fingers crossed!

11. dougglos

dougglos Thread Starter

First Name:
    Douglas
    Jenae:- Strange, but successful!

As promised, I am reporting back on the situation regarding my System Restore problem. I created a new restore point, and later on ran the system. First, I followed your recommended RE steps (Troubleshoot / Advanced / System Restore) and it ran through perfectly with the message “System Restore Completed”, etc.)

Then, just for interest, I ran it again, using the method that I have always used previously (Control Panel / System / System Protection / System Restore) but this time I received the “Unable to Restore” message!

I am obviously not too concerned at this latter result, as if or when I am ever obliged to perform a System Restore in future, I shall use the “Troubleshoot, etc., routine, but I just wonder what allows one to complete successfully, but not the other.

However, I now have a functioning facility and wanted to thank you again for your input. Best regards.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1213315

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice