1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

System Restore doesn't complete

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by SWOFKY, Mar 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SWOFKY

SWOFKY Thread Starter

Greetings!

HP G72; Pentium P6100 @ 2.00 GHz; 300 GB HDD; 6 GB RAM; Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. Three months old.

Had a problem with the network connection and tried to run System Restore first thing. It said it didn't complete successfully. Tried a different restore point. Still didn't complete successfully. Isn't that a bad thing? What could have made a new computer lose its System Restore capability? Is there something I can do about it?

Have since resolved the network problem so that isn't an issue anymore. However, I'd like to know System Restore is there for me in case something bad happens.

Thanks for any input forthcoming,
    Swofky

2. RaytheBear

RaytheBear

I will let the more experts than me give you a Full account of your System Restore problem, sometimes it can indicate trouble if it dosen't work, other times it could be something running in the background like an Anti-Virus software or a Security software that give the SR trouble.
    I've had to on a few occassions try a SR in Safe Mode.

But again, more exp. personnel will be along ...

Glad you solved your problem in the meantime.

Ray

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

It's possible that something was installed that makes it impossible to return to restore points that existed before the installation. When that happens, it is usually due to a driver-level change that is something that makes a major system change, even if not obvious. Sometimes it is a Windows upodate, though most take that problem into consideration and automatically delete all previous points.

Try turning off SR to clear all current points. Reboot and start making new ones. That solves most problems with SR, but it wouldn't hurt to try a new point since if it succeeds, it is easily reversible.

Also keep in mind that SR only restore the "system" (primarily Windows and drivers, as well as the registry). It won't help with your programs, many settings, or files. For a full backup of everything on your drive that would allow you to get back in business in a few minutes even if the hard drive needed replacing (and it will), use disk images.

Free system imaging/backup software:

Macrium Reflect (Free)
    O&O Disk Image Express
    Comodo Time Machine
    Clonezilla Live (A bootable CD of Debian with Clonezilla.)
    Paragon Backup & Recovery
    Drive Image XML
    PING (Partimage is not Ghost)
    Partition Saving
    Clonezilla

4. SWOFKY

SWOFKY Thread Starter

Thanks for your input, folks! I just checked in before going to be and saw what you wrote. I'll check out those backup programs.

I did run SR in safe mode and it still didn't work. Tomorrow, I'll try turning it off and back on and see if that fixes it.

I'll get back to you sometime tomorrow.

Thanks again!

5. SWOFKY

SWOFKY Thread Starter

Hi, Folks,

Turned SR off, rebooted, turned it back on and set a restore point, rebooted, set another restore point, rebooted, ran SR at the first restore point and still SR could not complete successfully.

I have to work this evening at an auction and may not be able to get back to the laptop for a while. Haven't yet had time to check out the other backup programs, but I will soon as I get time. Question: when one uses one of those other backups, can you backup to an external HDD or does it put the backup on the computer itself as another drive or something like that? I have a 250 GB USB HDD.

Does SR not being able to run mean that something is wrong with Windows? Just wondering if I should reformat the whole thing and start over.

Since I know nothing about those other programs, which one do you like best and which is/are the easiest to learn and run?

Thanks again,
    Swofky

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/986585

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice