1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

System restore doesn't restore

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by redhades, Oct 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. redhades

redhades Thread Starter

Hi there!

I'm having some trouble with system restore.
    I recently installed a ramdrive on my XP system and configured IE to use it as a cache. I also made a batch file that runs at startup as a service to format the ramdrive and create some folders in it. The ramdrive works great.

But now, when I create a restoration point with the system restore tool, that I reset my computer and then use the system restore tool again, my restoration points are all gone from the list. Even those created regularly by windows are gone after reboot.

I checked the event logs and I found an error from source "sr" that says:

Le filtre de restauration du système à rencontré l'erreur inattendue
    '0xC0000023' pendant le traitement du fichier 'Temp01' sur le volume
    'Ramdisk'. Ceci a entraîné l'arrêt de la surveillance du volume.

(Yeah, I have a french system)
    So 'Temp01' is the first folder created in my ramdisk at startup. It seems that system restore service is trying to acces my ramdrive at startup.

But it work fine when I reboot in safe mode right after creating a new restoration point. I checked the list in the system restor tool and the restoration points were showen correctly and usable. So my problem is only in normal mode.

If you have a way of excluding my ramdrive of the system restore process, or any other idea that would solve my problem, please reply.

2. scmazter

scmazter

Try this:

control panel>system>restore system restore, turn off system restore.
    Under Drive settings, click the non-system drive or partition that you want to exclude, then click Settings.
    Select the Turn off System Restore on this drive check box. This option is not available if you have selected a system drive or partition.

3. redhades

redhades Thread Starter

The R: Drive (my ramdisk) is not present in the "control panel/system/system restore" tab. I was thinking that maybe I could add the R: in the registry and THEN disabling it. I dont know where in the registry to find this. Or is it in some ini file?

But I know for sure that when I create a restore point, sytem restore doesnt check the ramdisk. There's no "System Volume Information" folder created in the ramdrive like it does in the root of other drives. So why does it acces it at startup?

4. scmazter

scmazter

You then need to tell windows it's present with the new hardware wizzard.
    Also am I correct when I say u installed an additional hard disc to serve as cache, of a new RAM card?

5. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

RAM drives affect the system restore function since they are not true HDD's yet are labeled as such in the registry.

System restore can't set up restore points on a virtual drive, but XP is telling restore that the drive is real, so it gets 'confused' and stops working.

This is a known issue. MS may have something on the KB, have you checked?

6. redhades

redhades Thread Starter

After doing a long search in my startup process, I found that the problem was part of the batch file that I created and was executed as a system service to initiate the ramdrive. And after experimenting with the commands I had in my batch file...

C:\WINDOWS\system32\format.com R: /FS:FAT /V:RAMDisk /Q /X /Y
    MD R:\TempInternet
    NET STOP RamDriveInit
    exit

...I found that when I format the ramdrive and then create a folder on it, SR (system restore) service generates an error, shuts down and loses all its restoration points. It happened even when I formatted the ramdrive from "My Computer" and then created the folder on it myself.

Then I fiddled around with SR and my batch file service and fixed my problem without knowing at first.
    Turns out that if you activate SR while a ramdrive is present but not formatted, SR will generate errors when you format the ramdrive afterwards.

So to fix my problem:
    1- I deactivated SR completely.
    2- Reboot.
    3- Formatted my ramdrive.
    4- Reactivated and setup SR.

My theory is that if a low space drive (like a ramdrive) is mounted but not formatted, SR wont be able to determine the drive's size. So SR wont exclude it from the surveillance routine.
    If a mounted drive is formatted and SR reactivated after the format, SR will read that its a low space drive, exclude it from the surveillance routine and remember the exclusion as long as SR is not deactivated again from the system properties.

Now my restore points are kept after reboot and I hope this will help those who stumble on the same problem.

7. mobo

mobo

Try repairing system restore...

With CD in, You could just put this in the RUN command box and hit enter.
    rundll32.exe advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection C:\Windows\Inf\sr.inf

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/171140

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice