1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

System Restore Doesn't Work-Help

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by golferguy, Feb 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. golferguy

golferguy Thread Starter

In early January, I made a post about a restore problem. Thought that it was cleared up. I am unable to acess any of my or XP's restore points. When I went to restore to an earlier date. All appeared to be going as it should. However, when I got to my profile a message window came up that said unable to restore to (chosen date/time) etc. I chose 3 other restore points over the last month, thinking it might be some recent problem, still a no go. Any help would be greatly appreciated? Is there a utility to use to check and see if there is something corrupted? If I need an HJT Log let me know and I'll repost.

Thanks, Golferguy

2. dai

dai

if it has become corruted the only thing you can do is start again by turning off system restore and then turning it back on again
    it is usually caused by not shutting down the computer correctley

3. golferguy

golferguy Thread Starter

Already tried that and have had no luck. Anywhere else to go?

Golferguy

4. dai

dai

what do you mean by does not work,when you turn it off all previous points are lost[they were of no use anyway]and it should have set a new one
    or do you mean it did not set a new restore point

5. golferguy

golferguy Thread Starter

When I try to access a restore point that I/XP has made, everything looks to be going as it should. When the computer restarts, a message comes up that says that the computer could not be restored to that point.

Golferguy

6. dai

dai

in the run box type
    sfc /scannow
    and press enter

7. golferguy

golferguy Thread Starter

I'll do it when I get back to the computer an repost ASAP. Thanks

Golferguy

8. n3vino

n3vino

That happened to me once. My restore point disk space was full. See if deleting some restore points will help.

Go to start, help and support, system restore and click on restore settings. Highlight the Drive where your system is (drive C) and scale the pointer back to minimum about half way. Accept that setting. Then repeat the steps to go back in and this time scale back to max and accept.

See if that gets rid of the older restore points and makes room for new ones. Everytime your system sets a restore point it gets written. If you do to many restores, they also get written and can fill up the alloted disk space.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/330055

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice