1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

System Restore...empty white box?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by highfive88, Apr 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. highfive88

highfive88 Thread Starter

When i try to run system restore with WINXP (even in safe mode) all that comes up is a white empty box that says system restore at the top. I wait for it all to load and after a few minutes its still the same.it happens every time and it doesnt say "this program is not responding" so whats up, and how do i fix?

2. highfive88

can anyone help?

3. EvileYe

EvileYe

Is your system restore turned on ?
    To check, do the following:

Click Start/My Computer/View System Information and select the System Restore Tab and ensure the Box is unchecked next to " Turn off system restore on all drives"
    If it is already unchecked, it may be worth checking it and re-booting, then uncheck it again to restart System Restore Monitoring. This will delete all current restore points, but it sounds as though they are corrupt anyway.

4. Bert Kinney

Bert Kinney

Hi,

Download and run the script at the following link.
    System Restore Calendar Blank
    http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_sysrestore_blank.htm

5. highfive88

evileye, its already unchecked and i cant lose all my previous restore points cause i need to get back some important files

bert, That was a good idea and it corrected two things, but i still get the same problem

6. Mithrilhall

Mithrilhall

7. EvileYe

EvileYe

System restore won't recover deleted files, it's function is to restore the System Only. Have you tried to restore your files from the recycle bin ?

8. highfive88

i emptied it a long time ago is there another way? I .zipped 35 gigs to reformat and I recently learned before reformatting that I could open the .zips and they were corrupt, and I had already deleted source files

9. EvileYe

EvileYe

You may be able to use a Corrupt Zip file repair tool, to recover at least some or maybe even all of your data.

I found a free one here http://www.systweak.com/downloads.asp

Scroll to the bottom and download the Zip File repair utility.

I haven't used it, so I am unsure of how good it is.

10. highfive88

sfc /scannow didnt work after it finished and neither did repairing the .zip

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/357953