1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

system restore error message

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by cchristensen, Oct 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cchristensen

cchristensen Thread Starter

I have XP Home. About one month old. When I try to restore to an earlier date, I get an error message "The procedure entry point DoOpenPipeStream could not be located in the dynamic link library ScrRun.dll.
    Is this file on my Window XP CD somewhere?
    Any suggestions?
    Thank you in advance for your assistance.
    c. christensen

2. Davey7549

Davey7549

cchristensen
    Welcome to TSG!
    Could not find much on this error but did find this Quote......

"It's very likely that some other application you have installed put an older version of scrrun.dll on your system, causing this error. The version in %windir%\system32 should still be the correct one (it's a protected file, so it shouldn't have been overwritten), so you can probably just re-register it and all should be well. Type "regsvr32 scrrun.dll" from any command prompt. The version number on that file should be 5.6.0.6626. (Mike Whalen)"

From this
    Webpage\Newgroup article

Let us know if that helps you.

Dave

3. cchristensen

Thank you Dave.

I typed in regsvr32 scrrun.dll and I got a message that it ran successfully. However, I could not check the version. I looked at the SR-Reg file and got the following:

[Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion]
    "CurrentBuild"=REG_SZ:1.511.1 () (Obsolete data - do not use)
    "InstallDate"=REG_DWORD or REG_DWORD_LITTLE_ENDIAN:1063567718
    "ProductName"=REG_SZ:Microsoft Windows XP
    "RegDone"=REG_SZ:
    "RegisteredOrganization"=REG_SZ:
    "RegisteredOwner"=REG_SZ:Kurt Christensen
    "SoftwareType"=REG_SZ:SYSTEM
    "CurrentVersion"=REG_SZ:5.1
    "CurrentBuildNumber"=REG_SZ:2600
    "BuildLab"=REG_SZ:2600.xpsp2.030422-1633
    "CurrentType"=REG_SZ:Uniprocessor Free
    "CSDVersion"=REG_SZ:Service Pack 1
    "SystemRoot"=REG_SZ:C:\WINDOWS
    "SourcePath"=REG_SZ:c:\
    "PathName"=REG_SZ:C:\WINDOWS
    "ProductId"=REG_SZ:55277-OEM-0011903-00102
    "DigitalProductId"=REG_BINARY:ยค
    "LicenseInfo"=REG_BINARY:

There's plenty more, but I since can't restore.

4. Davey7549

Davey7549

cchristensen
    What exactly do you mean you were unable to check the version.
    If it is a hidden file go to control panel\folder options and click show all folders. Then do a search for the file. The one we are interested in should be in the C:\Windows\System32 folder according to the article. Once found right click properties\version.
    If two are located on your system then check both of them.
    Lets hope there is a version difference since there is really nothing listed on this problem.

Dave

PS: Do you still get the same message now that you registered the Dll?

5. cchristensen

Are we talking about the file version or the OS version? The Windows XP Version is 5.12600.

I again typed at the command promt regsvr32 scrrun.dll and got DllRgisterServer in scrrun.dll suceeded.

I did a search, and got their were no results.

Too late for me. Maybe I'll try again tomorrow. Thanks a ton!

6. cchristensen

OK Dave, I'm finally back.
    I had 3 scrrun.dll files. One in I386, System and in System 32.
    The one in I386 and System 32 are the 5.6 etc version. The one in System was 5.1 etc. I copied and pasted the correct version.
    How do I register the dll?
    I also called Dell and they were nice BUT very quick to tell me my system in corrupt and I could either do a dirty/quick install or a clean install.
    What now, wise wizard?

7. Davey7549

Davey7549

cchristensen

After you copy and paste the correct dll in C:\Windows\System and remove the incorrect one the type in regsvr32 scrrun.dll

Dave

8. cchristensen

Thank you Oh Great One!

You won't believe it but now after I just got home and turned on the 'puter I got the dreaded blue screen that stated "Page fault in non-paged area. Stop: 0x00000050 (0xE2310818, 0x00000000, 0x805A90F7, 0x00000001). Yada, yada, yada.
    Beginning dump of physical memory. Physical dump complete.
    I turned off and back on and got windows error report. Basically stated I have a problem with a driver.
    Drivers everywhere. System, System32, I386, Spool.
    Seems to me in Windows 98 and Me, you could go to control panel, and check devices and drivers.
    Any thoughts?

9. Davey7549

Davey7549

cchristensen

Doesn't give you any other indication of what driver does it! XP should have a device manager section... are there any devices not functioning correctly?

Dave

10. cchristensen

No, Sir! I checked them all. I had disabled the network adapter. We're not on a network, nor have we networked our computers.
    I'm getting ready to do a quick/dirty restore. I've got Charlie White's instructions printed out. I want my mommy, I'm scared. But, more importantly, I'm frustrated. Now I know what people are cursing about when they refer to XP (Extra Problems!!) I almost want the Me back. I'm sick of the constant updates.
    On another subject, I went to Iomega to order a zip drive cleaner. They don't offer one, nor do they recommend cleaning them-EVER. Earlier today, I went to Best Buy and Office Depot. They had both just sent back all their zip drives, disks and cleaners to the warehouse. Said they were obsolete and tried to sell me one of those USB drives that looks like a pen on a cord. I would lose one of those. I love the zip drive. I have been using it for years and have stored all my schools files on one disk for years. I'm going to copy all the files to the hard drive, already downloaded updated software from Iomega and will copy my files back to a new zip disk. Got a great deal at Target. They were on the clearance aisle. They too had sent back the zip drives and cleaners. What is this world coming to? I hope Iomega doesn't go out of business. Thanks for not giving up on me. I'm still trying to navigate in XP. I wondering if it's worth it.

11. Davey7549

Davey7549

cchristensen
    Not sure at this point what is happening to your system if all these drivers are erroring at boot but yet all is working and nothing is showing up wrong in device manager. An overinstall may be a good option for you but I would also make sure I backed up all the personal data until this problem is put to rest.

Have you tried starting in safemode to see if errors are occuring there to?
    The reason I ask it is remotely possible that there is a hardware problem vs a software. Did your computer run fine before the attempted restore a month ago, and what prompted you to attempt the restore in the first place?

Dave

12. cchristensen

I started in safe mode. No error messages. No problems. I don't think I have a hardware problem. New modem and CD R/W drive ordered with new system. Bought new Epson C84 printer. Not too sure about anything at this point. Might be Adobe PhotoDeluxe Home Edtion. Also have Business Edition. I installed the Home Edition awhile ago. I was in the CD for my old Kodak digital camera and installed some Kodak files. I deleted them but still can't get rid of "My Digital Camera" When I click on it, screen tells me to choose camera. My new camera is not in the list. I don't use the icon for anything. Can't remove it through add/delete programs. When I start Adobe PhotoDeluxe, HE, I get a dialog box that says to download a parser updated file. Got the same message for business ed. I downloaded and unzipped. No problem with Bus. Ed. However, everytime I open the Home Ed. I get the same message even though I followed all the instructions. Download, unzip, open a template, etc.
    Anyway, I wanted to do a system restore, because I got the original message "DoOpen Pipe Stream could not be located in the dynamic link library ScrRun.dll"

13. Davey7549

Davey7549

cchristensen
    You may be forced at this time to try the WinXP repair.
    Here are the instructions for doing so.
    WinXP repair

Dave

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/171316

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice