1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

System restore error message

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by horsefan, Oct 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. horsefan

horsefan Thread Starter

Every time I have tried to use system restore since downloading Service Pack 2 I get an error message that the system restore was incomplete and cannot be done because "no changes have been made to my computer." Anybody know what is going on and how I can get system restore working again?

2. bobol

bobol

one option is uninstalling sp2, but I hear that may cause even more problems regarding your exact current situation......
    or
    system restore troubleshooting
    Open a command prompt window. To do this, follow these steps:
    1. Click Start, click Run, and then type CMD.
    2. Press ENTER, and then type Net Start at the command prompt to make sure that the System Restore service is up and is running.
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_restore.htm

also this;
    Start the System Restore tool at a command prompt
    1. Restart your computer, and then press F8 during the initial startup to start your computer in Safe Mode with a command prompt.
    2. Log on to your computer with an administrator account or with an account that has administrator credentials.
    3. Type the following command at a command prompt, and then press ENTER:

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

4. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your computer to an earlier state.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/288758

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice