1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

System Restore has gone crazy (or is it me?)

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by keval, Apr 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. keval

keval Thread Starter

Hi Folks,

I just noticed in my System Restore calendar multiple entries saying "Print Driver novaPDF Lite 3 Printer Driver Installed". These entries are repeated at extremely frequent intervals (approx. every 2 mins) and have all occurred during the last month (April). Unfortunately, my System Restore calendar will not allow me to go back earlier than April.

I uninstalled novaPDF Lite 3 from my PC some months ago. There is no entry in Add/Remove Programs for novaPDF Lite 3 and there is no folder in C:\Program Files for Softland, the software company that produces novaPDF Lite.

I can find no evidence of any registry entries for Softland.

Does anyone have any idea why this is happening?

keval

2. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

I would speculate that the driver, as many installations do, produces or triggers windows to make a restore point before installing, in case...

I would further speculate that when it was uninstalled it didn't all go cleanly and now something is left behind that is repeadedly triggering to install and of course, as part of that install it faithfully makes a restore point, over and over and over again.

Either that or System Restore has become corrupted and gone crazy. You can do a little diagnostic that might tell you some more if you go into system properties and turn off system restore on all drives or at least the system drive, reboot, turn it back on, reboot and see if it still keeps making restore points for the same driver. If so you might want to reinstall the driver and uninstall it again and if that doesn't work and it uses the windows installer, there's an installer cleanup utiility (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301) that you can use to remove the installation reference if its there.

Otherwise, I'm back to system el'loco.

3. keval

keval Thread Starter

I just tried that and, to my disappointment, it still continues to create restore points for the novaPDF Lite driver so I've turned System Restore off again until I can next look at the problem in a couple of days' time.

Computers - who would have them? I reckon that I spend 50% of my time actually using them and 50% of my time sorting out problems! And I'm just a home user!!

Keval

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/704342

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice