1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

System Restore Incomplete

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by rbickham, Apr 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rbickham

rbickham Thread Starter

I can`t get my System Restore to work. I have tried to restore to many System Checkpoints but always get Incomplete Restoration. I have searched this on the internet. I followed steps to check program to see if i is running, it is running!

2. bicycle bill

bicycle bill Banned

Well just maybe.
    According to Microsoft's article 831829, an active antivirus scans files during system restore, if it finds anything it thinks is infected it will try to clean it. If it can't clean the file, it will delete the file and system restore won't work. Maybe if you disable your antivirus program system restore will work?

3. blaqDeaph

blaqDeaph

Thats assuming of course, he didnt walk with you in your shoes :p

Seriously, though, I'd recommend scanning your computer before creating the restore point, and disabling the AV program during creating the restore point.

4. rbickham

rbickham Thread Starter

Thanks Guy`s.
    I will give it a try!!
    Thank You for the replies.
    Rod

5. rbickham

rbickham Thread Starter

I turned off my anti-virus and tried to use system restore again, still doesn`t work. Any more suggestions?
    Thanks
    Rod

6. Bert Kinney

Bert Kinney

Hi,

There are several reasons this may occur. Let's take a look at Event Viewer for any System Restore logs that may have been created recently that may help us diagnose the problem.

Go to Start - Run and type eventvwr.msc and press enter.
    Click on System in the left pane.
    Click the gray title “Source” at the top of the source name column in the right pane to sort by source name, look for "sr" and "srservice".
    Double click on each of these events, then click on the button below the two arrows in the upper right corner. This will copy the event information to the clipboard. Paste the information for each of the two event here. There’s no need to post duplicate Event ID’s.

How do I use the Event Viewer to search for System Restore logs?
    http://bertk.mvps.org/html/tips.html#EventViewer

Here are some more links for troubleshooting System Restore.

System Restore Failures to restore:
    http://bertk.mvps.org/html/srfail.html

System Restore fails to create an automatic restore point:
    http://bertk.mvps.org/html/srauto.html

Disappearing Restore Points:
    http://bertk.mvps.org/html/missingrps.html

7. rbickham

rbickham Thread Starter

Bert,
    I saved the event information to my desktop, but i don`t know how to post it.
    Rod

8. Bert Kinney

Bert Kinney

Double click on each event, then click on the button below the two arrows in the upper right corner. This will copy the event information to the clipboard. Now right click on a reply to this message and select paste.

9. rbickham

rbickham Thread Starter

Bert,
    I followed your second link and i do have Norton 2006. I unchecked turn protection on and did a system restore and it worked. I turned off auto protected before, i thought i was turning off antivirus but i guess i wasn`t.
    Thanks for all your help!!
    Rod

10. Bert Kinney

Bert Kinney

You're welcome. Glad to see you found a solution.

11. Georgia in MS

Georgia in MS

If I understand Bert right, if I had Symantec product protection on, I'll not be able to use system restore to restore my computer to a previous date?

I did not install Go Back on my computer either because I counted on having System Restore.

To be able to use System Restore, do I just ignore Step 3 where I would turn back on the protection for the Symantec product? My Symantec product (Norton System Works) is up to date and it does not seem that Symantec has fixed this problem.

12. Georgia in MS

Georgia in MS

I had to reinstall System Restore to get it to work. Thanks Bert for the thorough instructions on the System Restore process.

I am leaving the Symantec protection off until someone advises me differently. Some people don't like System Restore, but for me, it's the easiest to use to fix screw ups.

Georgia

13. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

With Symantec protection enabled in NAV 2006/07, System Restore will not function.

14. Georgia in MS

Georgia in MS

When you install Norton, I'm sure there is a choice to turn on/off the Symantec protection. I wonder when you say, "yes, protect my Norton," if the files necessary to make System Restore work are removed??

15. Bert Kinney

Bert Kinney

Hi,

The following article explains the issue.

"Restoration Incomplete. Your computer cannot be restored . . . "
    http://bertk.mvps.org/html/symantecdoc1.html

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/459314