Solved System Restore Interrupted laptop now unbootable

redhawk50

Joe
My wife's keyboard on her Windows 10 laptop suddenly quit working properly. She decided to do a "system Restore", but the restore got interrupted and left it unbootable. She tried all the "repair" programs that Windows 10 offers but nothing worked.

Searching the internet she found what appeared to be a solution by using elevated C prompt. She followed the instructions and everything went well for the first 4 or 5 commands, but then got a message that the file could not be found. There were no "if file is not found" work arounds listed.

About the only info we can provide on the machine is it's an HP that came loaded with Windows 8 which she updated to Windows 10.
We're barely scraping by on Social Security, which makes replacing it very difficult, so any help at all would be greatly appreciated.
(I told her if anyone could help her it would be you good folks here.)

About the only info we can provide on the machine is it's an HP
HP normally have a model number on the bottom of the machine.

Do you have any data you need to get off this computer. If yes then make a ubuntu bootable usb or dvd
https://ubuntu.com/tutorials/create-a-usb-stick-on-windows#1-overview NO install needed
Copy your data to an external drive or another computer/nas.
Searching the internet she found what appeared to be a solution by using elevated C prompt. She followed the instructions and everything went well for the first 4 or 5 commands, but then got a message that the file could not be found. There were no "if file is not found" work arounds listed.
As lunarlander asked what file. Can you show a link as to what she was trying to do and when it fell over

Couriant

James
The thing about keyboards is that it's typically a hardware issue. Since this is a laptop, do you have a USB keyboard that you can test and see if you get the same issue? if you don't get the same issue, then more than likely the laptop keyboard would need to be replaced.

If you cannot see the serial number and can get to the BIOS, you can get the serial and I think the product number there.

Command Prompt can get you the serial also by typing the command wmic bios get serialnumber

It should prompt you with a 13ish digit serial number.

redhawk50

Joe
Whats the name of the file that could not be found ?
Thank you LUNARLANDER for your quick reply. I was mistaken about a file being missing, it actually said "path not found"
Taking it from the beginning, found instructions on the Internet to fix it not booting.
The commands the instructions said to type are in italics for ease of reading
Here are the instructions we followed:
Press start button but interrupt by turning off. Do this twice.
"Preparing Automatic Repair" comes up

"AUTOMATIC REPAIR"
Your pc did not start correctly click on "Advanced Options",
click "Advanced Options" again
click on "Command Prompt"

Command Prompt came up

Administrator: x:\windows\system32\cmd.exe
Everything we were instructed to type and then press enter are in italics
x:\windows\system32> /bootrec /fixmbr
successful

Type___ and press enter
x:\windows\system32 /fixboot
access denied

If access denied comes up Type___ and press enter
x:\windows\system32 /bootsect /nt60 sys
bootcode successfully updated on all targeted volumes

Type___ and press enter
x:\windows\system32 /bootrec /fixboot
successful

Type___ and press enter
x:\windows\system32 /bcdedit /export c:\bcbackup
successful

Type___ and press enter
x:\windows\system32 /attrib c:\boot\bcd -h -r -s
path not found - c:\boot

x:\windows\system32>

(Here's where we got stuck) I was mistaken when I previously said "file is missing", it actually said "path not found"

redhawk50

Joe
Thank you for replying PETEROZ. There used to be a sticker on the bottom with that info on it but it's worn off.
I can get the data off of it, but we'd like to fix the machine if possible because we can't afford to replace it right now.

redhawk50

Joe
Thank you COURIANT!
Yes, using a usb keyboard works fine. Also following your instruction got the serial number: 5CD42908QT

Ok the idea is use ubuntu to save data. You always need to make sure your data is safe.
If we can't get the computer to boot again in windows 10.
The only option would be to factory reset the laptop which will take it back to Win 8 then upgrade again to windows 10.
A factory reset will DELETE ALL DATA and programs you have installed since turning on the computer the first time.
It will be the last option. If you get your data off you know it is safe.

x:\windows\system32 /attrib c:\boot\bcd -h -r -s
path not found - c:\boot
At the cmd prompt check that windows is on c:
Sometimes when using recovery windows can be D:
at the x:\windows\system32> C: Enter
This should give you C:> prompt
C:>
dir Enter
This should list the folders/files is windows listed ? if no
d: Enter
D:>dir Enter
Is windows listed

Couriant

James
You don't need to install Windows 8 to install 10. the license is digital so Windows will reactivate itself. The Microsoft Creation Tool is all you need.

I wonder if the access denied command was the reason the C:\boot was not available? but Peter may be correct, the drive letter may be different.

I will look into the machine specs itself later.

redhawk50

Joe
Ok the idea is use ubuntu to save data. You always need to make sure your data is safe.
If we can't get the computer to boot again in windows 10.
The only option would be to factory reset the laptop which will take it back to Win 8 then upgrade again to windows 10.
A factory reset will DELETE ALL DATA and programs you have installed since turning on the computer the first time.
It will be the last option. If you get your data off you know it is safe.
My tech knowledge is very limited, I don't know what "ubuntu" is or how to use it.
I went to the link you provided in your first post but the technical jargon seemed over my head.

redhawk50

Joe
At the cmd prompt check that windows is on c:
Sometimes when using recovery windows can be D:
at the x:\windows\system32> C: Enter
This should give you C:> prompt
dir Enter
This should list the folders/files is windows listed ? if no
d: Enter
D:>dir Enter
Is windows listed
Why is there an X before :\ windows\system32> shouldn't that be a "C" or "D"?

At the x:\windows\system32> I typed C and hit enter which resulted in:
'C' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.
CORRECTION: I have a C prompt and YES, windows is listed, 20 files 8 dirs

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!