1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

System restore not making restore points

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by CountryJim, May 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CountryJim

CountryJim Thread Starter

Hi,New guy here, looking for some help. System restore looks like it is running ok, but there are no restore points available, when attempting to make new restore point i get the message "system restore is not able to create a restore point. Please restart the computer and then run system restore again". Reboot including cold boot do not help. System restore settings say both drives are being monitored, separate xp os on each drive and system restore is working on "old" unused drive, and it seems I can not turn off monitoring in only one of the drives. I spent all day reading up and tried going into the reg to check and see DisableSR set at 0, like i read it is supposed to.(HKEY_local_machine, system restore) , tried right clicking sr.inf, but got the message that I needed the service pac 3 files and I must have done something wrong there because when entered the path to SP flies and I clicked ok nothing happened..

I found this in a sr.inf notepad, then I went into the reg.

[SRFlt_delreg]
    HKLM,"system\currentcontrolset\services\SR\Parameters","MachineGuid"
    HKLM,"system\currentcontrolset\services\SR\Parameters","Disabled"
    HKLM,"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Minimal\sr.sys"
    HKLM,"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Network\sr.sys")

But when I looked in reg in HKEY_LOCAL_system,services,sr, parameters, reg_dword DontBacklup value is set to 0. This seems correct to me but this is all new to me.

os is XP professional - X32 - ver 5.1.2600
    service pac 3
    pentium 4 cpu 3.6 ghz, 1 core
    ibm intelistation
    I TB sata hd with 78.1 GB free space

This is a clean install on new hd in jan 2013
    Any help would be appreciated, Thanks.

2. Sponsor

3. AtlBo

AtlBo

Not sure whether this could even be related, but you are kind of short on HD space for that size drive. Have you tried lowering that amount of space used by System Restore? On this PC it's set to use 5 GB, and there are always around 10 restore points...

If that doesn't affect things, maybe sfc /scannow will find something to repair, assuming you have an installation disk...

4. CountryJim

AltBo, Thanks for the info. Sorry, I should have said 78.7 used, so the drive does have lots of free space.

[/Quote]
    If that doesn't affect things, maybe sfc /scannow will find something to repair, assuming you have an installation disk...[/QUOTE]

I do have the isnstall disc, but do not know what " sfc /scannow" is.

5. AtlBo

AtlBo

To run SFC /SCANNOW, Start->Run->type "command" in the box (no quotes). At the prompt type SFC /SCANNOW and hit enter on the keyboard. Make sure there is a space after SFC.

SFC /SCANNOW requires an installation disk for some fixes, so it may ask for such...

6. CountryJim

Hey AltBo, I appreciate your advice, but just want to check to make sure that the installation disc being service pac 2 and cuurenly using service pac 3 that this will not cause any problems.

7. AtlBo

AtlBo

I have done it before with no problems, but it would be better if you could get a copy of XP SP3 someplace. For the repair installation feature, this is also true I have heard, although I have run it too with a SP2 disk. The repair installation removes all Windows updates, so it seems like it should be safe to use a SP2 disk for that.

I think the worst that can happen would be that SFC /SCANNOW finds problems that it can't fix. It reports those instances, so it's not a big deal...

I hope this works for you if you decide to try it. I'm not 100% sure you absolutely couldn't have a problem when it's over. However, I recommend, if you do try, running a backup of your system first just to be on the safe side, or you can find a SP3 disk someplace.

8. AtlBo

AtlBo

CountryJim...

I had some time tonight, so I ran SFC with a SP2 disk on an XP SP3 installation. It asked for the disk, and then finished. Don't know if much was changed. I really couldn't see a difference, and there wasn't a notification at the end. I checked System Restore, and everything seemed normal there.

Still not 100% sure it's safe to use. If you have a backup of your files and have a backup of your system otherwise, you shouldn't have any problem running the command...

9. CountryJim

AltBro, This sounds worth trying, but since I have lots going on right now, need my computer for work, and have to make backups I will wait until the weekend. Thanks for your time and advice, it is appreciated!

10. AtlBo

AtlBo

OK...please post back if anything interesting comes up...

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1125290