1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

System Restore Not Working Even After Fresh Install

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mulderator, Apr 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mulderator

Mulderator Thread Starter

This is very strange--have a Toshiba Satelite Laptop and the Remote Desktop Tab was missing and also could not create any Restore points--after screwing with it, I finally wiped the hard drive clean (including the hidden partition) and reformatted the drive. Reinstalled Windows XP (fresh install) and still no Remote Desktop Tab and still System Restore doesn't work (says to a Restore Point could not be created and to reboot). Tried flashing the BIOS to the lastest (Phoenix) and still doesn't work. I just don't get it--THIS IS A FRESH INSTALL of Windows XP Professional (OEM). It Activates fine. I tried regsitering remotepg.dll as suggested here:

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/remotetab.htm

That doesn't work. I feel these are inter-related issues. But I can't comprehend how system restore wouldn't work on a fresh install with nothing else installed or why I would have no Remote Desktop Tab and why System Restore would not work.

Any ideas?

2. Mulderator

Would the Windows activation key (i.e., whether its OEM or not) make any difference?

3. Mulderator

Ok--figured it out and this is very surprising to me. This system (which belongs to someone else) came with Windows Media Edition installed originally and was upgraded to XP Professional (allegedly) but apparently they used the same Media Edition Key!!! I could barely read the key on the sticker which is very faded so I didn't notice it said Media Edition. I used an OEM XP CD to do the fresh install so obviously since it took the key, I assumed it was an XP Pro Key. I find it hard to believe that Windows would accept a Media Edition Key when installing a XP Pro. If you tried for example to install a retail license version of Windows with an OEM key, it wouldn't take it.

What happened in this situation is it accepted the key but it disabled the XP Pro functions and thus the Remote Tab didn't work (not sure why System Restore would not work).

And by the way--I'm not doing anything illegal here--I've got about a dozen computers between home and work (all OEM) that I own and so I slipstream an OEM XP Pro CD with all the latest updates so I don't have to go through the hassle of downloading updates when I reinstall windows or if I have to fresh install for some reason (like in this situation).

Anyway, I thought this would be useful information to anyone else who may be facing the same issue.

4. Mulderator

BTW--if anyone sees Skivvywaver tell him I am going to kick his arse!!!!! :D

5. win2kpro

win2kpro

I haven't worked on a machine with MCE in awhile so I may be mistaken, but if I recall correctly with MCE if you right click on My Computer and then click on properties it will indicate the operating system is Windows XP Pro. (Maybe someone using MCE can verify this).

I believe the source of your problem was using an OEM version of XP Pro for reinstallation rather than an OEM or system builder (Toshiba) version of MCE. MCE has some extra functions included in the disk(s) that XP Pro doesn't have.

Again If I recall correctly MCE originally was released on 2 CDs and you had to use the 1st CD then the 2nd CD, then go back to the 1st CD to complete the installation. Later MCE was issued as a single DVD.

I built a customer a machine 2 or 3 years ago using an Intel DG965OT board and installed XP Pro. After I installed XP Pro and the board drivers I went into device manager and there was a yellow "bang" indicating an unknown PCI device. I found that interesting since there were no PCI cards installed. After searching around Intel I found out that if you were not using MCE with that particular board you had to access BIOS, go to Advanced and disable Intel QRT (Quick Resume Technology). After I disabled QRT the "bang" disappeared and everything was fine.

I know I kept a note on the configuration of that machine so if I ever had to clear BIOS I had to remember to go back in and disable QRT to get rid of the "bang" in device manager.

6. Mulderator

That probably was the problem with regard to the System Restore not working, but since MCE does not support Remote Work Webspace, I was forced to change to XP Professional. That's how this all started--trying to set this machine up to use RWW and no matter what I did, it wouldn't work. That's when I did the fresh install of XP Professional using the OEM CD--my surprise is that the OEM CD would accept an MCE key. It shouldn't have accepted it which would have clued me in immediately as to what the problem was.

The way I found out the issue with the System Restore is that when I first did the install, RWW worked until after some MS updates were added. So I did the install over again and figured I'd do a system check point when RWW was working and then figure out which updates were causing a problem. Of course, that's when I realized that System Restore was not working.

Interesting you mention the 2nd CD because I remember during the install process (which I did two or three times) it kept asking me to insert a second CD (I would just cancel)--I thought that was probably for some hardware issue or something--I didn't know that MCE had two install CDs.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/919409

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice