1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

System Restore not working. Searched and tried everything with no luck.

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by ZoneIII, Jan 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ZoneIII

ZoneIII Thread Starter

[​IMG]

System Restore is creating restore points but I cannot use it to restore to one of those points. I had this problem with XP too and, if I remember correctly, the only thing that would fix it was a repair install or a reinstall of the OS.

I'm running Windows 7 32-bit. When I first got this PC (HP), I noticed that System Restore would not work a day or two after I got it when I tested SR (because I had problems with it with XP). I reinstalled the OS and that fixed it but, at some point, it broke again. I don't know how long it took to break again because I haven't tested SR since then (about 6 months ago). I do not want to do a repair install, if possible, because I am sure that SR will just break again and I can't keep doing repair installs. Instead, I want to find out what's causing the problem and fix it permanently. I have searched many forums about this problem and done everything possible that was recommended in those forums. I have turned off SR, re-booted and turned it back on, run sfc /scannow, and all kinds of other things with no luck. I do not have the SR.inf file that some people say to locate, right-click on and reinstall SR. When I search for it, my hidden files are visible. The System Shadow Copy service is on manual and running. I set it to automatic but that didn't help. It is set to manual on my other machines too and SR works fine with them. SR also fails when run in Safe Mode. The event log shows the following error for the SR attempt I made last: "The restore point was damaged or deleted during the system restore (Windows Update)"

I thought that the problem might be caused by one of my security programs but SR works properly on my wife's W7 laptop and my XP netbook, both of which have identical security software installed.

I have found many forums where people are having the same problem and are getting the same error message but I have not found a fix that works.

Please don't ask me why I am using SR. I mean absolutely no disrespect but I have noticed that that is asked in many forums where this problem is raised and the result is invariably that the thread gets side-tracked about the pros and cons of SR in general. I'll just say that I have found SR to be a valuable and convenient tool to fix certain problems before resorting to more involved fixes. I know what SR is, what it will do, and how and when to use it. In this case, I wasn't using SR to fix a problem, I was just testing it to see if it works because I have had problems with it in past.

If anyone knows of a fix for this problem short of a repair install, I would greatly appreciate it and I'm sure many other people would as well.

2. daz1

daz1 Banned

3. ZoneIII

ZoneIII Thread Starter

Thanks. I ran sfc /scannow as you suggested and it found no problems.

I am running Avast!, Spybot S&D, Spyware Blaster, SuperAntiSpyware, Malewarebytes, Ad-Aware, and also Microsoft Security Essentials. I know that's a lot but I have had no problem with them on my other machines. They have the same programs installed but SR works fine on them. Also, the redundancy seems to work because one program will sometimes catch something when another doesn't. And the adware/spyware scans pick up different things when they do find something but that is extremely rare because I keep my machine clean. It is very rare when I find any adware or spyware at all and, when I do, it's just minor stuff.

I have heard that SpyBot, especially TeaTimer, can be a problem and also that AdAware may also cause problems. I have not tried uninstalling them this time but I did try that when I had this problem on my old XP desktop and it didn't fix the problem. I also use CCleaner.

I do have the link you posted for doing a Repair Installation and I also tried all the steps listed on the same website for how to repair SR with no luck.

As I mentioned, I want to avoid doing a Repair Install because I am sure that the SR will just break again as it did before and I can't keep running repair installs. However, if I can fix the cause of the problem, I would happily do a Repair Install.

4. daz1

daz1 Banned

I have heard that SpyBot, especially TeaTimer, can be a problem and also that AdAware may also cause problems

the above conflict badly but will not effect system restore

you will have defender running so you do not need avast and essentilas your ram must be bulging !!!!!!!

system restore uses a big file suggest lside it to minimal just one or 2 restore points , when you have time run full check disk on your C drive especially AFTER changing the system restore file size

go to start type backup and restore go to create image , see if you can do that

5. ZoneIII

ZoneIII Thread Starter

When I initially install Spybot and AdAware on any machine, a message comes up saying they conflict but I have never had a problem. It's just a warning. I have also read in forums that there really isn't a conflict.

If I'm not mistaken, Defender was replaced by Essentials but Defender must remain on your system for some reason. You can't uninstall it if you have Essentials (at least I can't) but it is not running. Apparenly, Essentials needs something in Defender. In any case. Essentials is newer than Defender. I like it. If I had to remove Avast! or Essentials, I would probably remove Avast!

I already checked the amount of disk space that SR can use and I increased it form 1 or 2% to 6% just to try it. (I have a TB drive and it's only using about 10% of its capacity).

Surprisingly, my RAM is just idling! I have 12 GB of RAM. But, even my little XP netbook with only 1GB of RAM and a lousy processor zips along like crazy with the exact same programs running. My wife's W7 laptop with 3GB of RAM flies too. But I have always kept crap off all my computers and I turn off unnecessary services, etc. Essentials seems to be very efficient. I know several people who run Avast! and Essentials at the same time and have seen no performance problem at all with both of them running.

Thanks for your suggestion to run check disk. As I said, I did adjust the SR file size so I will run it right now.

6. ZoneIII

ZoneIII Thread Starter

This is a follow-up with more information. As recommended above, I increased the space available for SR points and then ran Check Disk but no problems were found.

On many threads that deal with SR not working, some say you should have an sr.inf file and, by right-clicking on it, you have the option of reinstalling SR. I don't have that file on my PC nor did I have it on my old XP machine when I had this same problem. But I just checked my wife's W7 laptop and my XP Netbook and neither of those machines have that file either but SR works fine on them so I don't know what the thing is about the sr.inf file that some say you must have.

I noticed something else. Even though I turned off SR and turned it back on and also (later) used the Cleanup tool to remove all but the latest restore point, there are still restore points for all my previous IMAGE backups. I can't delete those and I'm not even sure if I should because I don't know if they are necessary for doing an Image restore. CCleaner has a tool that allows you to selectively delete restore points but the system restore points for the image backups do not show up in CCleaner's list of current restore points. :confused:

7. daz1

daz1 Banned

8. ZoneIII

ZoneIII Thread Starter

Actually, the images are fine. Only the SR points are bad. AFAIK, SR has nothing to do with the image backups and, in fact, I used one of the images to reimage my PC about two weeks ago and it worked fine. I create them manually about once a month or when I have made substantial changes or added documents. They are written to an external drive. That drive is only when I am writing images to it or re-imaging. I do know that you can run image backups and image restores even when SR is turned off. I'm not a PC geek, but they really don't have anything to do with each other. Some forums even recommend to just turn of SR and only use image backups and restores to fix problems. (Geeks seem to hate SR :) and they tend to look down their noses at it but I have found SR to be a very useful tool.) , As a matter of fact, I re-imaged my PC because of a relatively minor but hard to fix problem two weeks ago that SR would have fixed if it had been working. But since SR wasn't working, I just went ahead and did an image retore and everything was fine. I also just wanted to test Image Restore. I'm not exactly sure why the the Image Backup restore points even show up in SR because SR could not restore an image anyway. AFAIK, image restore does not need or use SR restore points for anything.

As for the 3 machines being the same: I didn't mean to say that the PCs or their hard drives are the same. Obviously, they aren't. In fact, I even said they were different. I just said that I am running the exact same set of security programs on them.

If I can't figure this out, what I think I'm going to do is get another internal drive and shedule automatic image backups about once a week and forget about SR. As I said, I'm not going to do a repair install because the problem will just come back as it did before and I obviously can't keep doing repair installs. That would be senseless, IMO. What I want to do is determimne the cause of the problem and fix it. If I can do that, then I would be happy to do a repair install.

Hopefully, someone who has dealt with this and found a fix may see this thread. There are lots of people having the same problem and getting the same error message. I'm not optimistic, though, because people have been reporting this problem for years and I have found no real fix in any forums short of a repair install or a full OS reinstall and I'm willing to bet that most people who did that experienced the same problem again after doing the installs.

But thanks for your help. It was still very useful. Nice forum! I appreciate that you took the time to try to help.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/974842

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice