System Restore not working

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

TooOld

A couple of days ago I uninstalled 2 programs that I didn't need anymore . Now I think I may need one of them . I've tried to run System Restore but I keep getting an error message . I disabled MSE and PrevX and it still would not restore .
Now I'm not too worried about getting the program back , but would like to be able to restore my system if I ever need to .
Any suggestions ?

TerryNet

Terry
What's the error message (exactly)?

If your system is running fine now why not just make a new System Restore point now to make sure you have one?

TooOld

The error message is : File or directory is corrupted and unreadable ( 0x80070570 )
I tried to create a restore point and wasn't able to . I also tried in safe mode and got the same message .
Everything seems to be running just fine , but this is bugging me .

TerryNet

Terry
Try running a disk check with error correction. Sometimes I'll even do that twice in a row if errors were fixed the first time.

TooOld

Thanks for the idea , that's what the Microsoft website said to do . I did that Friday night and and it found no errors . They also said something about rebooting using the Windows disk . I'm not sure how to do that . Honestly , I'm always afraid of screwing something up when I do something new !

TerryNet

Terry
They also said something about rebooting using the Windows disk .
I'd rather not just guess what that means, so could you give a link to where they give that advice, please? Do you have a Windows 7 installation DVD?

Honestly , I'm always afraid of screwing something up when I do something new !
Me too. :) But having my data backed up securely and knowing how I'll bring my computer back to life if the worst (hard drive completely fails) happens makes the fear manageable.

TooOld

I think it was the Microsoft Answers website under Windows 7 performance and maintenance . I really don't remember exactly , I didn't take very good notes .
When I bought my computer I called Gateway and they sent me 4 discs :
- System Disc
- Language Disc
- Recovery Disc 1
- Recovery Disc 2
Also included were instructions to Reload the Hard Drive . I'm assuming that Windows 7 is on these discs . Obviously I don't really want to reinstall Windows unless absolutely necessary , so I'll survive without System Restore if I have to !

TooOld

New development here . Just for grins I tried System Restore again . There was a restore point created on 9/2/12 for a Windows Update . I thought that was strange so I checked the updates in Control Panel and it was Microsoft Security Essentials for 2 crirical updates . I went back to System Restore and selected that restore point and everything worked like it is suppossed to ! So I selected the next previous restore point ( 8/31/12 ) and tried again . No go , I got the error message .
So something happened between those 2 dates . Still I haven't noticed any problems with the computer during normal use . Very strange .
I think I will wait until the next Windows updates are installed ( pretty soon right ? ) and check it again .
What do you think ?

TerryNet

Terry
It sounds like you now have a Restore Point (9/2) that you can fall back on in the future. Don't know why the others are corrupted nor why you could not create a new one. Can you create one now?

TooOld

I was able to create a restore point manually , but only the current date and time , not say , a week ago . I don't know if that is normal or not .
Anyway , I'm going to forget about the whole issue for now , since everything seems okay . Unless you think it should be persued further .
Thanks for your help and time .

TerryNet

Terry
Yes, you can only create a new Restore Point now, not some time in the past. Now that things are working I agree that you should just write the past problem off as a glitch and not worry about it.

You're welcome. :)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online