System Restore not working

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Frankie107

System Restore will work only when I run it in Safe Mode. When I try to run it normally it goes through the normal process but the message at the end is that it has not been possible to restore my pc to the chosen date and that nothing has been changed. There is presumably a fault or corruption somewhere in my system, any ideas please on how I can identify and remove it?
My TSG SysInfo data are below.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5000+, x86 Family 15 Model 107 Stepping 2
Processor Count: 2
RAM: 2014 Mb
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 7025 / NVIDIA nForce 630a, 256 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 217999 MB, Free - 137013 MB; D: Total - 20471 MB, Free - 18162 MB;
Motherboard: BIOSTAR Group, GF7025-M2
Antivirus: AVG AntiVirus Free Edition 2013, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Have you been using any registry/file "cleaner/fixer" type programs?

---------------------------------------------------------

Frankie107

I vaguely remember using one some considerable time ago (at least a year ago) but I think it was a microsoft one and therefore presumably safe..

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
The reason why I asked is because AVG Free Edition 2013 has a built-in registry/file "cleaner" and also prompts people to buy its "tuneup" program.

These programs can damage Windows and wreak havoc with a computer.

----------------------------------------------------------

Using System Restore every time your computer has some little "hiccup" is not advisable.

It's not 100% reliable and doesn't always work.

If you're having to do this on a regular basis, that's not normal.

-----------------------------------------------------------

blues_harp28

In addition to the above.
Is there a reason that you now need to use System restore?

Some of the restore points may be corrupted.
Turn off System Restore - restart your Pc and then turn on System restore.
It will automaticlly set a restore point or you can set one yourself.

How to turn off and turn on System Restore in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310405
=====
Download Security Check by screen317 from.
http://screen317.spywareinfoforum.org/
Or
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/securitycheck/

Save it to your Desktop.
Double click the install icon.
A command Prompt window will open.
Let it scan the Pc - press any key when asked.
It should now open in Notepad.
Copy and Paste the result of the scan in the reply box below.

The saved log will be called checkup.txt.

Frankie107

Flavallee - thanks for the reply. I do use AVG but have not bought any "tune-up" program. I don't use SR on a regular basis - perhaps three times in the last year or so except recently when I've been trying to resolve this problem.

Blues_harp78 - thanks for your comments. I was using SR because I found my settings had changed (in particular all my icons on my desktop were in different positions) and I was suspicious that other things might have changed also. It was the principle of SR not working that bothered me, suggesting that there was a problem in my system. I don't think the issue was some of the restore points having been corrupted because I tried several of them.

Frankie107

sorry blues_harp78, I didn't finish my response because I pressed a "send" button by mistake. I don't want to turn off SR and reboot because I know that wipes out restore points and I want to retain the ability to go back in time, even if only by using Safe Mode. I've followed your advice about Security Check and the results of the scan are below.

Thanks to both of you for your help.

Results of screen317's Security Check version 0.99.71
Windows XP Service Pack 3 x86
Internet Explorer 8
``````````````Antivirus/Firewall Check:``````````````
Windows Firewall Enabled!
AVG 2013
`````````Anti-malware/Other Utilities Check:`````````
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware version 1.70.0.1100
Out of date Malwarebytes Anti-Malware installed!
JavaFX 2.1.1
Java(TM) 6 Update 13
Java 7 Update 25
Adobe Flash Player 10 Flash Player out of Date!
Adobe Flash Player 10.1.102.64 Flash Player out of Date!
Adobe Reader XI
Mozilla Firefox (3.0.4) Firefox out of Date!
Google Chrome 28.0.1500.72
Google Chrome 28.0.1500.95
Google Chrome Plugins...
````````Process Check: objlist.exe by Laurent````````
AVG avgwdsvc.exe
AVG avgrsx.exe
AVG avgnsx.exe
AVG avgemc.exe
`````````````````System Health check`````````````````
Total Fragmentation on Drive C:: 11% Defragment your hard drive soon! (Do NOT defrag if SSD!)
````````````````````End of Log``````````````````````

blues_harp28

Malware can corrupt restore points.
I would update Malwarebytes and scan your Pc and remove all that it finds.
Then post the log file.
Start Malwarebytes again.
Click on the Logs Tab.
Highlight the scan log entry.
Click - Open.
The scan log will appear in Notepad.
Copy and paste it in your next post.
=====
Download SuperAntiSpyware to your desktop.
Download the Free version

SuperAntiSpyware

Click on the install icon - allow it to update during the install process.
Select the Quick Scan option.
Click Scan your Computer.
Any infections or problems will be highlighted in red.
After the scan is finished.
Click Continue.
Check that everything is listed.
Click Remove Threats.
Click OK - then click Finish
You may be prompted to restart to finish the removal process.
If Yes - restart your Pc.

Start SuperAntiSpyware again.
Click View Scan Logs.
Highlight the scan log entry.
Click - View Selected Log.
The scan log will appear in Notepad.
Copy and paste in your next post.
=====
You could back up you registry before clearing out the restore points.
http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/tweaking_com_registry_backup.html

Frankie107

Thanks blues-harp28, the Malwarebytes and Superantispyware logs are below.

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 1.75.0.1300
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: v2013.08.08.02

Windows XP Service Pack 3 x86 NTFS
Internet Explorer 8.0.6001.18702
Frank :: FRANKKINGHORN [administrator]

08/08/2013 08:10:43
mbam-log-2013-08-08 (08-10-43).txt

Scan type: Full scan (C:\|D:\|)
Scan options enabled: Memory | Startup | Registry | File System | Heuristics/Extra | Heuristics/Shuriken | PUP | PUM
Scan options disabled: P2P
Objects scanned: 491726
Time elapsed: 1 hour(s), 27 minute(s), 38 second(s)

Memory Processes Detected: 0
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Detected: 0

Registry Keys Detected: 0

Registry Values Detected: 0

Registry Data Items Detected: 0

Folders Detected: 0

Files Detected: 0

(end)

SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log
http://www.superantispyware.com

Generated 08/08/2013 at 03:32 PM

Application Version : 5.6.1020

Core Rules Database Version : 10677
Trace Rules Database Version: 8489

Scan type : Quick Scan
Total Scan Time : 00:09:58

Operating System Information
Windows XP Home Edition 32-bit, Service Pack 3 (Build 5.01.2600)
Administrator

Memory items scanned : 527
Memory threats detected : 0
Registry items scanned : 35151
Registry threats detected : 0
File items scanned : 13421
File threats detected : 100

Adware.Tracking Cookie
C:\Documents and Settings\Frank\Cookies\DB4B5KC9.txt [ /server.iad.liveperson.net ]
C:\Documents and Settings\Frank\Cookies\R6YQTLG3.txt [ /ads.p161.net ]
C:\Documents and Settings\Frank\Cookies\4EQ7977D.txt [ /imrworldwide.com ]
C:\Documents and Settings\Frank\Cookies\A3BIPSUF.txt [ /tradedoubler.com ]
C:\Documents and Settings\Frank\Cookies\CSGWZL1P.txt [ /2o7.net ]
C:\Documents and Settings\Frank\Cookies\16BKSKW6.txt [ /atdmt.com ]
C:\Documents and Settings\Frank\Cookies\O0KAPC4F.txt [ /server.adformdsp.net ]
C:\Documents and Settings\Frank\Cookies\97HF7UKG.txt [ /apmebf.com ]
C:\Documents and Settings\Frank\Cookies\GF4LOGHB.txt [ /oracle.112.2o7.net ]
C:\Documents and Settings\Frank\Cookies\VQWF7KHL.txt [ /mediaplex.com ]
C:\Documents and Settings\Frank\Cookies\H63D38QW.txt [ /statcounter.com ]
C:\Documents and Settings\Frank\Cookies\BK0WDEMH.txt [ /ad.yieldmanager.com ]
C:\Documents and Settings\Frank\Cookies\CP7RF12N.txt [ /virginmedia.com ]
C:\Documents and Settings\Frank\Cookies\GLQIKSTE.txt [ /invitemedia.com ]
C:\Documents and Settings\Frank\Cookies\E9YQ4QS7.txt [ /adformdsp.net ]
C:\Documents and Settings\Frank\Cookies\RW8ZJ0RA.txt [ /ad.360yield.com ]
C:\Documents and Settings\Frank\Cookies\O5B7988T.txt [ /www.3dstats.com ]
C:\Documents and Settings\Frank\Cookies\O8R8S4HB.txt [ /media6degrees.com ]
C:\Documents and Settings\Frank\Cookies\V7U7LH5D.txt [ /c1.atdmt.com ]
C:\Documents and Settings\Frank\Cookies\918M7CCE.txt [ /in.getclicky.com ]
C:\Documents and Settings\Frank\Cookies\OULAV1Q4.txt [ /skyscanner.net ]
C:\Documents and Settings\Frank\Cookies\UO08FL6O.txt [ /casalemedia.com ]
C:\Documents and Settings\Frank\Cookies\JBW377OZ.txt [ /liveperson.net ]
C:\Documents and Settings\Frank\Cookies\05491IZQ.txt [ /www.skyscanner.net ]
C:\Documents and Settings\Frank\Cookies\IC3WUP47.txt [ /clickfuse.com ]
C:\Documents and Settings\Frank\Cookies\Q1A4G9QS.txt [ /statse.webtrendslive.com ]
C:\Documents and Settings\Frank\Cookies\2E2E2CR3.txt [ /doubleclick.net ]
C:\Documents and Settings\Frank\Cookies\WS34MJZK.txt [ /clickbooth.com ]
C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\GUEST\Cookies\P43VU367.txt [ Cookie:guest@microsoftinternetexplorer.112.2o7.net/ ]
C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\GUEST\Cookies\4WY7AI49.txt [ Cookie:guest@statse.webtrendslive.com/ ]
C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\NORA\Cookies\FC80ONXR.txt [ Cookie:nora@da.virginmedia.com/virginmedia/vmmsu/ ]
C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\NORA\Cookies\VR0KS340.txt [ Cookie:nora@my.virginmedia.com/ ]
C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\NORA\Cookies\XIG326OH.txt [ Cookie:nora@google.com/accounts/ ]
C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\NORA\Cookies\TV4EI10G.txt [ Cookie:nora@www.virginmedia.com/ ]
C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\NORA\Cookies\NGJJMEI9.txt [ Cookie:nora@amazon-adsystem.com/ ]
C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\NORA\Cookies\SB5QJ4F9.txt [ Cookie:nora@virginmedia.com/ ]
C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\NORA\Cookies\E43TEJOV.txt [ Cookie:nora@help.virginmedia.com/ ]
C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\NORA\Cookies\XBRCA587.txt [ Cookie:nora@www.skyscanner.net/ ]
C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\NORA\Cookies\81DJLK9B.txt [ Cookie:nora@clickfuse.com/ ]
C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\NORA\Cookies\9LJAWA9O.txt [ Cookie:nora@da.virginmedia.com/virginmedia/ ]
C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\NORA\Cookies\65B0GIUE.txt [ Cookie:nora@help.virginmedia.com/system/ ]
C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\NORA\Cookies\ZXU086Z0.txt [ Cookie:nora@www.virginmedia.com/index.php/resetLegacy ]
.virginmedia.com [ C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\FRANK\APPLICATION DATA\MOZILLA\FIREFOX\PROFILES\31EZP1P0.DEFAULT\COOKIES.SQLITE ]
www.virginmedia.com [ C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\FRANK\APPLICATION DATA\MOZILLA\FIREFOX\PROFILES\31EZP1P0.DEFAULT\COOKIES.SQLITE ]
www.virginmedia.com [ C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\FRANK\APPLICATION DATA\MOZILLA\FIREFOX\PROFILES\31EZP1P0.DEFAULT\COOKIES.SQLITE ]
.virginmedia.com [ C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\FRANK\APPLICATION DATA\MOZILLA\FIREFOX\PROFILES\31EZP1P0.DEFAULT\COOKIES.SQLITE ]
.yieldmanager.net [ C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\FRANK\APPLICATION DATA\MOZILLA\FIREFOX\PROFILES\31EZP1P0.DEFAULT\COOKIES.SQLITE ]
search.virginmedia.com [ C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\FRANK\APPLICATION DATA\MOZILLA\FIREFOX\PROFILES\31EZP1P0.DEFAULT\COOKIES.SQLITE ]
search.virginmedia.com [ C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\FRANK\APPLICATION DATA\MOZILLA\FIREFOX\PROFILES\31EZP1P0.DEFAULT\COOKIES.SQLITE ]
.search.virginmedia.com [ C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\FRANK\APPLICATION DATA\MOZILLA\FIREFOX\PROFILES\31EZP1P0.DEFAULT\COOKIES.SQLITE ]
.invitemedia.com [ C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\FRANK\APPLICATION DATA\MOZILLA\FIREFOX\PROFILES\31EZP1P0.DEFAULT\COOKIES.SQLITE ]
.invitemedia.com [ C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\FRANK\APPLICATION DATA\MOZILLA\FIREFOX\PROFILES\31EZP1P0.DEFAULT\COOKIES.SQLITE ]
da.virginmedia.com [ C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\FRANK\APPLICATION DATA\MOZILLA\FIREFOX\PROFILES\31EZP1P0.DEFAULT\COOKIES.SQLITE ]
da.virginmedia.com [ C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\FRANK\APPLICATION DATA\MOZILLA\FIREFOX\PROFILES\31EZP1P0.DEFAULT\COOKIES.SQLITE ]
.media6degrees.com [ C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\FRANK\APPLICATION DATA\MOZILLA\FIREFOX\PROFILES\31EZP1P0.DEFAULT\COOKIES.SQLITE ]
.media6degrees.com [ C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\FRANK\APPLICATION DATA\MOZILLA\FIREFOX\PROFILES\31EZP1P0.DEFAULT\COOKIES.SQLITE ]
.lucidmedia.com [ C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\FRANK\APPLICATION DATA\MOZILLA\FIREFOX\PROFILES\31EZP1P0.DEFAULT\COOKIES.SQLITE ]
.adxpose.com [ C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\FRANK\APPLICATION DATA\MOZILLA\FIREFOX\PROFILES\31EZP1P0.DEFAULT\COOKIES.SQLITE ]
.at.atwola.com [ C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\FRANK\APPLICATION DATA\MOZILLA\FIREFOX\PROFILES\31EZP1P0.DEFAULT\COOKIES.SQLITE ]
.imrworldwide.com [ C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\FRANK\APPLICATION DATA\MOZILLA\FIREFOX\PROFILES\31EZP1P0.DEFAULT\COOKIES.SQLITE ]
.imrworldwide.com [ C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\FRANK\APPLICATION DATA\MOZILLA\FIREFOX\PROFILES\31EZP1P0.DEFAULT\COOKIES.SQLITE ]
.collective-media.net [ C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\FRANK\APPLICATION DATA\MOZILLA\FIREFOX\PROFILES\31EZP1P0.DEFAULT\COOKIES.SQLITE ]
.doubleclick.net [ C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\FRANK\APPLICATION DATA\MOZILLA\FIREFOX\PROFILES\31EZP1P0.DEFAULT\COOKIES.SQLITE ]
statse.webtrendslive.com [ C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\FRANK\APPLICATION DATA\MOZILLA\FIREFOX\PROFILES\31EZP1P0.DEFAULT\COOKIES.SQLITE ]
.questionmarket.com [ C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\FRANK\APPLICATION DATA\MOZILLA\FIREFOX\PROFILES\31EZP1P0.DEFAULT\COOKIES.SQLITE ]
.questionmarket.com [ C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\FRANK\APPLICATION DATA\MOZILLA\FIREFOX\PROFILES\31EZP1P0.DEFAULT\COOKIES.SQLITE ]
.revsci.net [ C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\FRANK\APPLICATION DATA\MOZILLA\FIREFOX\PROFILES\31EZP1P0.DEFAULT\COOKIES.SQLITE ]
.revsci.net [ C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\FRANK\APPLICATION DATA\MOZILLA\FIREFOX\PROFILES\31EZP1P0.DEFAULT\COOKIES.SQLITE ]
statse.webtrendslive.com [ C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\FRANK\LOCAL SETTINGS\APPLICATION DATA\GOOGLE\CHROME\USER DATA\DEFAULT\COOKIES ]
.doubleclick.net [ C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\FRANK\LOCAL SETTINGS\APPLICATION DATA\GOOGLE\CHROME\USER DATA\DEFAULT\COOKIES ]
.doubleclick.net [ C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\FRANK\LOCAL SETTINGS\APPLICATION DATA\GOOGLE\CHROME\USER DATA\DEFAULT\COOKIES ]
.apmebf.com [ C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\FRANK\LOCAL SETTINGS\APPLICATION DATA\GOOGLE\CHROME\USER DATA\DEFAULT\COOKIES ]
.mediaplex.com [ C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\FRANK\LOCAL SETTINGS\APPLICATION DATA\GOOGLE\CHROME\USER DATA\DEFAULT\COOKIES ]
.mediaplex.com [ C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\FRANK\LOCAL SETTINGS\APPLICATION DATA\GOOGLE\CHROME\USER DATA\DEFAULT\COOKIES ]
.tribalfusion.com [ C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\FRANK\LOCAL SETTINGS\APPLICATION DATA\GOOGLE\CHROME\USER DATA\DEFAULT\COOKIES ]
.invitemedia.com [ C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\FRANK\LOCAL SETTINGS\APPLICATION DATA\GOOGLE\CHROME\USER DATA\DEFAULT\COOKIES ]
.invitemedia.com [ C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\FRANK\LOCAL SETTINGS\APPLICATION DATA\GOOGLE\CHROME\USER DATA\DEFAULT\COOKIES ]
.yieldmanager.com [ C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\FRANK\LOCAL SETTINGS\APPLICATION DATA\GOOGLE\CHROME\USER DATA\DEFAULT\COOKIES ]
ad.yieldmanager.com [ C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\FRANK\LOCAL SETTINGS\APPLICATION DATA\GOOGLE\CHROME\USER DATA\DEFAULT\COOKIES ]
ad.yieldmanager.com [ C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\FRANK\LOCAL SETTINGS\APPLICATION DATA\GOOGLE\CHROME\USER DATA\DEFAULT\COOKIES ]

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Frankie107:

Go here, then click the large blue "Download Now @ Bleeping Computer" link to download and save AdwCleaner.exe to your desktop.

Note: It looks like an orange bug with black legs.

Close all open windows first, then double-click AdwCleaner.exe to load its main window.

Click the "Delete" button, then allow the deletion process to finish.

Click "OK" 3 times.

The computer will restart.

When the log file appears, save it.

Return here, then copy-and-paste the ENTIRE log here.

--------------------------------------------------------

AdwCleaner will find and remove a lot of what Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and SUPERAntiSpyware doesn't.

That's why I personally use all 3 in my computers.

--------------------------------------------------------

Frankie107

flavallee
I've done that and the log is below. However when the pc restarted and I tried to load Google Chrome (the browser I use) it would not load and I got the error message saying something like "your setting is invalid or corrupt". What do you think has happened? I see several folders and registry keys have been deleted.

# AdwCleaner v2.306 - Logfile created 08/08/2013 at 16:16:23
# Updated 19/07/2013 by Xplode
# Operating system : Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 3 (32 bits)
# User : Frank - FRANKKINGHORN
# Boot Mode : Normal
# Running from : C:\Documents and Settings\Frank\My Documents\Downloads\AdwCleaner.exe
# Option [Delete]

***** [Services] *****

***** [Files / Folders] *****

Folder Deleted : C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\APN
Folder Deleted : C:\Documents and Settings\Frank\Local Settings\Application Data\Ilivid Player
Folder Deleted : C:\Documents and Settings\Frank\Local Settings\Application Data\PackageAware
Folder Deleted : C:\Program Files\Ilivid

***** [Registry] *****

Key Deleted : HKCU\Software\Ask.com
Key Deleted : HKCU\Software\AskToolbar
Key Deleted : HKCU\Software\ilivid
Key Deleted : HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Settings\{3CA2F312-6F6E-4B53-A66E-4E65E497C8C0}
Key Deleted : HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Settings\{AF5B5C22-498A-4239-9A51-82BDD99C6A44}
Key Deleted : HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{3CA2F312-6F6E-4B53-A66E-4E65E497C8C0}
Key Deleted : HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{AF5B5C22-498A-4239-9A51-82BDD99C6A44}
Key Deleted : HKCU\Software\YahooPartnerToolbar
Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Interface\{813A22E0-3E2B-4188-9BDA-ECA9878B8D48}
Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Interface\{BCFF5F55-6F44-11D2-86F8-00104B265ED5}
Key Deleted : HKLM\Software\InstallIQ
Key Deleted : HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData\S-1-5-18\Components\063A857434EDED11A893800002C0A966
Key Deleted : HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData\S-1-5-18\Products\A28B4D68DEBAA244EB686953B7074FEF
Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Software
Key Deleted : HKLM\Software\TENCENT

***** [Internet Browsers] *****

-\\ Internet Explorer v8.0.6001.18702

[OK] Registry is clean.

-\\ Mozilla Firefox v3.0.4 (en-GB)

File : C:\Documents and Settings\Frank\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\31ezp1p0.default\prefs.js

C:\Documents and Settings\Frank\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\31ezp1p0.default\user.js ... Deleted !

[OK] File is clean.

File : C:\Documents and Settings\Nora\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\enzfocfc.default\prefs.js

[OK] File is clean.

-\\ Google Chrome v28.0.1500.95

File : C:\Documents and Settings\Frank\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Preferences

[OK] File is clean.

File : C:\Documents and Settings\Nora\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Preferences

[OK] File is clean.

AdwCleaner[S1].txt - [2757 octets] - [08/08/2013 16:16:23]

########## EOF - C:\AdwCleaner[S1].txt - [2817 octets] ##########

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
I don't use Google Chrome because it can be problematic and intrusive, and I don't like it's look and layout.

You'll probably have to redo your personal settings in it.

As you can see, AdwCleaner did find additional threats.

valis

just to toss my nickel's worth in, I've NEVER had system restore on XP work correctly outside of safe mode. Works great in safe mode, but I have had several issues over the years trying to get restore to work in regular mode.

Frankie107

flavallee - OK, I'm using Internet Explorer for the moment until I get time to redo all my settings. Where do we go from here on the main issue?

valis - thanks for the comment, but I have to say I've been using it intermittently ever since XP came out and I've only had this problem once before and had to resolve things then but switching it off and rebooting then switching it on, which lost all my restore points.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
flavallee - OK, I'm using Internet Explorer for the moment until I get time to redo all my settings. Where do we go from here on the main issue?
I'm not there to see your computer, so I can't advise you how to resolve the "system restore" issue.

Depending on how long you've been running that same Windows XP install, and depending on the number of issues that you've encountered, it may be time for a clean reinstall and fresh start.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online