1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

System restore not working

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Honey2aB, Apr 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Honey2aB

Honey2aB Thread Starter

HI...I'm using a Dell with IE 6, and Windows ME. I did a number of things with my computer the other day, as instructed on this forum. I had a trojan horse virus. I downloaded a bunch of spyware, did the hijackthis log, and checked the appropriate boxes to lose my virus. After I did all of these things I was instructed to set a new restore point. When I get to my system restore it gives me 2 choices to click on..restore my computer to an earlier time...if I click this it says "there are currently no restore points available".

The second choice is.."create a restore point". When I click on this it asks for a restore point description. Did that (I'm assuming if you want restore point description to be called Fred, for example, that's ok?), clicked on next, then it tells me "system restore is not able to create a restore point. Please restart the computer, and then run system restore again" I did that, and the same messages come up. Basically, going in a circle here.

Can someone shed some light on my little problem? Thanx a bunch. :)

2. Styxx

Styxx Banned

Is System Restore enabled? Know where to check if it is or not?

3. Honey2aB

Honey2aB Thread Starter

Yup, I've got it. In my file system properties. Where it says "disable system restore", there is no checkmark beside it.

4. Styxx

Styxx Banned

So, you've progressed in your problem solving. You've established that System Restore (SR) doesn't work for you despite that fact that it is enabled.

If allowed to, your system should create a restore point after 10 hours of cumulative or continuous operation. See if it does create a restore point.

Please note that the installation of certain programs will cause SR not to work. So there may be nothing wrong with Windows in that SR does not perform as expected. :eek: I believe a major popular brand of anti-virus is one culprit (possibly Norton Anti-virus) and there are several other non-anti-virus, the firewall Black Ice Defender (old name, slightly new name now) is one. There are several more. Let me help you determine if some install software you have there is the cause of this.

Uninstalling all unnecessary programs may be the solution to your issue. If in doing so, and after that restarting your computer, SR will let you create a restore point you have resolved the issue.

BTW, please tell me, is there a particular reason you looked at System Restore? I know of and personally use several excellent and free anti-virus and firewall programs that won't adversely effect SR. You could even temporarily uninstall your suspicious AV or firewall programs and try a freebie to see if that affects this issue positively. Take no immediate action, let's discuss it. What brand of computer do you use. Non-proprietary, HP, Compaq, etc.?

5. Honey2aB

Honey2aB Thread Starter

Let's see here. Questions to answer :) Nope. Computer does not create a restore point by itself. If I go to my system restore page one of the choices it gives me is "restore my computer to an earlier time". When I press next, there is the calender,and beside it, it says "there are currently no restore points available."

I have the free edition of AVG anti virus running.

The reason I looked into my system restore was because I was told to set a new restore point by $teve, from this forum. If you like..check back on my most recent visits here and check out the advise I was given, by Cookiegal and $teve, for a trojan horse virus that I had, which, by the way, is now gone...thank goodness. This way, you have the big picture...and a lot less explaining by me :) Believe me. It's easier that way. :D

Oh, and my computer is a Dell.

6. Styxx

Styxx Banned

Dear Honey2aB:

You'll be glad to know that AVG while being a excellent AV program disables System Restore (SR). I used AVG and had that same problem with my WinME SR. I've since moved to a WinXP machine and still don't use AVG on anything but Win98 and below versions of Windows but, I use another excelent free AV that I highly and strongly recommend you switch to. It's just as easy to update and in nearly the same way although as with AVG the auto-update feature fails to work in the free version. You might be glad to know that while AVG is a excelent strong anti-virus program the e-mail scanning, like the auto-update feature does not work in the free version.

This free anti-virus program is called AntiVir. You'll see a link to it below in color, in my signature. Just click on the colored link; Click the Download button on the AntiVir main page; click the red/black AntiVir icon to start antivir downloading; Download done? uninstall AVG, and any other anti-virus programs you may have installed, in the Add/Remove Programs control panel then restart your computer, after uninstaling each AV program. Navigate to where you downloaded AntiVir and double-click its download icon to initiate the antivir install.

7. Styxx

Styxx Banned

I strongly recommend you make this change Honey2aB. You definitely want SR to be working for you. AntiVir does not do e-mail scanning but its Real-Time/On-Demand engine is very strong as to detecting virus, Trojan or variant. It also detects and warns of many Spyware programs if you check the Activate all types by highlighting the Unwanted Programs section under the Configuration button on the AntiVir main screen.

That was likely all that was wrong with your installation of Windows. AVG was just benignly disabling SR. And again, I use AntiVir my self and so can doubly recommend it.

For AntiVir usage, questions or concerns please reply back. (y)

8. Honey2aB

Honey2aB Thread Starter

Thanx for the suggestion Styxx..but...when I click on your antivir AV at the bottom of your page my computer doesn't take me anywhere. It just stays on the same page..AND if I go directly to the site it won't even download. When I press the red/black antivir logo the page just flashes a bit and jiggles. Yah, that is a good one. I dunno my computer has a mind of its own. Like now when I want to put in one of the little smilies from the right side of the page there, computer won't do it. All it did was scroll the page right to the top..and no smilie...rrrrrrr My computers fave saying is "Done, but with errors on page"

Any suggestions? I know ya do. :D There, an old fashioned smilie. :D

9. Honey2aB

Honey2aB Thread Starter

Hey, I guess when I do the smilies the old fashioned way...right from the keyboard, the come up the new way. Like the ones you see here :D Ooops, forgot about that.

10. Styxx

Styxx Banned

Hmmm,

try this, those links on my signature are OK, I tested 'em to be sure they'd work right after I ryped them in.

Open Internet Explorer (IE); Tools menu; Internet Options; Advanced tab; Click the Restore Defaults button; Click Apply; Click Ok. Close IE.

Open (IE); Click the Tools menu; Point to Internet Options; Click the Security tab; Click the Default Level button; Click Apply; Click Ok. Close IE.

Open IE; Click the Tools menu; Internet Options; Click the Security tab; Click the Custom Level button; Click Apply; Click Ok. Close then restart IE for the changes to take effect.

11. Honey2aB

Honey2aB Thread Starter

:mad: Sorry, Styxx, but your addresses worked after all. I was putzking around on the computer after my last message and ended up having to restart, as pages I wanted weren't coming up. After I restarted I came back here, and for just ..what the hey..I tried your site again. And. Voila. It worked. Sorry, again, but once I got to the antivir site and pressed download, and it went thru, it took like 1/2 an hour to scan, once it downloaded, before I could get back here to tell you it worked after all.

So, now it's all set up. I think. After it scanned with, what was it Luke Filewalker..aaahhh goood one, it told me I had 5 viruses. One that said TR/NO CLOSE .2, and another 2 that popped up 4 times. They were..JS/SPAWN...which said the file lol[1] and file lol [2].htm contains signature of the Java script virus. Do you want to delete this file? It asked..yes/no/options/repair. I pressed yes. Yeesh, I hope that was what I was supposed to press.

I didn't see anything that said "unwanted programs" under config button. Of course I could be staring right at it.

My old AVG let me schedule when I wanted it to run. This one I'm not too sure what to do about that. It says it will run every time windows boots up. I don't think that would be a plan,as this computer gets rebooted quite often and I don't need the AV turning on every time this occurs. It also said something about automatic scheduling.

I hate fooling around with something I don't know too much about, doing something, and then not being able to go back and fix. When it comes to this computer I like being told what to do step by step. :eek: can you tell :D

12. Styxx

Styxx Banned

I hope you uninstalled AVG and restarted your computer before you installed AntiVir. It never scanned anything before you downloaded and installed AntiVir, Ok? You'd not want to do scheduled scans. Boot to Safe Mode and Start AntiVir main program and click the magnifying glass once per month if you must.

Right-click the red umbrella in your System Tray (lower right of screen); Point to Run AntiVir main program; After it starts up, Tick the box next to [C:], click the Gear/hammer icon (the Configuration button) :) and click once on the Unwanted Programs entry on the left; On the right tick the box next 'Activate all types.' Click once on the Search entry on the left, then on the right under the Files section put a mark in the Radio button next to All files. Click Miscellaneous entry on the left and under the AntiVir Tools section, tick the box next to Load Guard at system start, if it isn't already ticked. Yes, you do want the Real-Time scanner starting every-time you boot up otherwise you might as well not have an anti-virus program installed. With all AV programs if it doesn't start with Windows, no anti-virus to catch virus. By now, I just hope your not [ticked] with all this. ;) Click the OK button to all subsequent screens to exit AntiVir main screen.

AntiiVir makers put out updates for this every other weekday. To update it get on-line; Right-click the red System Tray umbrella and point to Start Internet update then click the Updater's Start button. When it's done updating most often it installs itself automatically you click OK and it's done. Less frequently you need to click Next and check the boxes to agree to things as necessary to let antiVir redo a full install of AntiVir, this is normal.

13. NotRite²

NotRite²

14. Honey2aB

Honey2aB Thread Starter

Did everything you said. So, now I'm assuming I'm good. Don't have to do anything with it except..let's see here..update every 2 weeks, right? This AV does not update itself, correct?? AND, it will run a scan every time that I turn on the computer in the morning, barring reboots during the day.

What is..."Boot to Safe Mode and start AntiVir main program and click the magnifying glass once a month, if you must." Are you :rolleyes: ?? I'm totally computer illiterate, but hey, I can spell :) I wish, at some point, that this information would stick somewhere in the brain. I would desperately love to know all of this stuff and to remember what I've been told, but for some weird reason I don't retain anything. Go figure. You would think that if a person wanted to know, remember and use information it would stick. With me. No such luck. :(

So, thanx for all of your ongoing patience, Styxx. You're a peach. (y)

Now, let's see what NotRite has sent me on a mission to do.

You know. I don't even know what to do with my system restore once it has apparently been all fixed. :eek:

15. Styxx

Styxx Banned

Your confused. AntiVir and almost no anti-virus programs anymore, except maybe AVG, will ever scan when you boot the computer up. The Real-Time scanner is what this and all anti-virus program use to protect your computer if Virus, Trojan or Variant gets on your computer and tries to run itself behind your back, so to speak. Each anti-virus has two types of protection it affords you, a Real-Time and On-Demand scanner, built-in.

The On-Demand scanner is what you boot to Safe Mode -

(tap F8 five times per second during a restart; Choose option number three (3) in the Windows Startup dialog box using the arrow keys below the Delete key, and strike the Enter key; Click Ok when prompted).

Temporarily disable your screen saver (choose None).

Then Start the AntiVir main program and click the Magnifying Glass Icon, once a month, if you desire to run a actual (on-demand) scan.

Besides what NoteRite very correctly recommends, go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com and get all the Critical Updates and Service Packs. Some have to be done one at a time. But you keep going back to that Windows Update site until there are no more to get. Recommended updates at that site you can ignore if you like. The others are really mandatory.

Here's more reading on Microsoft recommended on-line security fixes we all need to be concerned and take action to. Part of it is maintaining quality anti-virus protection. The other is instal a firewall. Please read the following site carefully.

http://specials.msn.com/msn/security.asp

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/221748

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice