system restore not working

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

franco44

i have a hp pc running win xp home edition. i am try to do a system restore back to a few days ago. i go thru the system restore function but after the pc reboots i get a message saying system restoration incomplete. this pc did not come with a windows cd. the d drive is used for recovery. i did a virus scan and scanned with ad aware and search and destroy. i also tried to restore to month back but same message. i really dont want to do a reinstall of windows and start from scratch. thanks,franco

Franco
Not having the XP Install CD or and XP Upgrade CD makes repairing the SR programs harder. Have you tried running SFC /scannow to determine if there are corrupt files? If not you may want to try it. Also if you were not given the Install CD then the install Cab files should be on your system somewhere. Try doing a start\search\files and folders and type in *.*cab and look for any folders that have a designation of Win_XX.cab
XX being numbers.
If they exist then you have a place where you can extract new examples of any files found corrupt.
However if there is registry corruption the SFC command will not help us and a XP CD will have to be had. Do you know anyone who has one? If so it is perfectly legal to borrow this CD for the purpose of repairing your current legal installation. If you can locate one follow the Instuctions listed at the website.

Dave

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts