1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

System Restore not working

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by deliasmiff, Jul 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. deliasmiff

deliasmiff Thread Starter

I recently downloaded some drivers as I was trying to install a new printer who's software would'nt load. This did'nt solve the problem. I decided to get a printer that I had had before, Brother DCP-110C as I knew this had worked well. I tried to install yesterday (28th July) but could'nt and my PC keeps switching itself off near the end of the installation. I then thought I would use System restore to go back to a happier time when I had the first Brother printer. I actually used System restore about 4 times in one afternoon and now it won't let me restore any further back than the 28th. I thought if I could go back far enough the drivers I had downloaded would be dormant and save me trouble. I am a complete novice so if you can help me with this problem please post it in baby language, thanks in advance.

2. Sponsor

3. bobol

bobol

Hi, [i'm tempted to write gagah googoo as you requested, but maybe thats not what you meant :p ]
    Do you mean created 4 times or restored earlier 4 times...or what combination of each?
    Have a look here
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_restore.htm
    since it covers many items that might help you resolve your issue, in particular the sections dealing with alloting space to system restore and its limitations resulting in automatic deletions of earlier points. Also consider undoing a restore [ which is why I enquired about how did you use Restore]; (y)
    Let us know if it helps.

4. deliasmiff

deliasmiff Thread Starter

Hi Bobol, thanks for the advice. I went to the site you suggested and got some useful information from it. I have decided to get someone who knows what they are doing to come and look at my computer as I know if I try to do anything I'll muck it up as they say "upt north" Cheers again for the help though and the answer to your question is a combination of each. gurgle cooo

5. bobol

bobol

heheee,
    please let us know how you fixed it ..I'm sure it will be ;)

6. iaavagent

iaavagent

You have just learned what I preach on this site= System Restore is not a "cure all".
    It can get you in a world of hurts if not used properlly and you don't understand it
    fully, which most of us don't! Three cheers for MS!

System Restore in most cases is near the bottom of the list for fixing a problem.
    Most experts on this site first try to resolve the problem w/o system restore use unless it becomes otherwise one of the last resorts.

Google it on the net and learn all about it at various sites and then use it with
    its limitations understood {and you still may not understand it all}!

It's better to have it, just view it with a jaundice eye!
    MS isn't perfect,but who is?

Good luck.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/385513

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice