1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

System restore not working

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Andydaking, Oct 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andydaking

Andydaking Thread Starter

The other day i installed some buggy drivers for my sound card that left a redundant icon in the control panel, so I thought I'd do a system restore, the only point I could restore to was from about 2 months ago, it was better than nothing, so I tried to restore to it. After a long time i get some message about the shadow copy has timed out. I decided to try in safe mode, which worked. But still the same error message out of safe mode if I boot normal windows. I read on some site that I must make sure that the system restore service is running, I check in services, guess what... no system restore service. I'm not sure at all about what to do now...

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Generally, you can just use the roll back functionality in Device Manager in Vista to restore a previous driver.

The service is not present in Vista. SR is handled by the volume shadow copy service (and others).

See if you can create a restore point. Go to Start > Search (or Run), and type:

systempropertiesprotection.exe

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!