System Restore not working

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

shrimpman

I have the Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium operating system. I want to do a system restore but I keep getting the error message that Windows was unable to restore my system because it could not access a file (Error 0 x 80070005). The error message suggested turning off any antivirus programs. I tried turning off Bitdefender, as well as my firewall, but that didn't help. I also tried doing the system restore in Safe mode, but that didn't work either (I got a different Error Code in safe mode: 0 x c0000022. I ran system scan from the command prompt to see if I am missing any system files or any system files are corrupted. Everything looks OK. Checkdisk did not find any problems either. I checked to make sure System Restore is turned on, and it is. Any ideas about what is preventing System Restore from doing a successful restore?

Shrimpman

Have you tried doing it from the booted DVD? That may well succeed "offline" when it cannot while Windows is running.

Unfortunately, the main way that is offered for repairing SR is to shut it down, reboot, and turn it back on, also erases all previous restore points.

shrimpman

I'm not sure how to boot off the installation disk. When I insert the disk autorun wants to start the installation program. Can I press F12 to get it to boot off the disk?

shrimpman

OK, I figured out how to run System Restore from the DVD, and it worked! But... why won't it work from my hard disk? I've never had to resort to the program disk with XP. Is this a Windows 7 thing or is something going on that's interfering with System Restore? If its the latter, how do I identifiy the problem and fix it?

Hard to say why it wouldn't work. Possibly a file was in use and could not be replaced. That is why the DVD option exists. It's a good thing, really. I used to do it with XP, too, but you needed a special disk for that.

Possibly whatever it was that caused you to resort to SR in the first place interfered with it. Or maybe you have some malware--it would be unusual if you had none at all. SR won't work at times if the SR point is incompatible with the current state of the OS, like after a major change, uupdate, or driver installation. The problem you had may never recur.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts