1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

System Restore Not Working

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Nikki0417, Mar 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nikki0417

Nikki0417 Thread Starter

I tend to have problems with Firefox taking an unusually long time to load pages, and normally, I can solve that with using a System Restore. This time, though, I can't get System Restore to work. I've tried several times from various checkpoints, but each time I get a message saying "Incomplete Restoration."

I know this topic has been posted before, and I tried using the advice given in this thread http://forums.techguy.org/windows-xp/459314-system-restore-incomplete.html. I disabled AVG Anti-Virus, but I didn't help. I know from the previous thread that you'll need to look at the system restore logs in order to help; so, I'll just post those now to save time.

This is the information for the "sr" source:

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: sr
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 1
    Date: 3/13/2010
    Time: 8:47:25 PM
    User: N/A
    Computer: HOME-DFE7BDCF87
    Description:
    The System Restore filter encountered the unexpected error '0xC0000243' while processing the file 'avgupd.exe.old' on the volume 'HarddiskVolume1'. It has stopped monitoring the volume.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
    Data:
    0000: 06 00 00 00 04 00 4e 00 ......N.
    0008: 00 00 00 00 01 00 00 c0 .......À
    0010: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
    0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
    0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........

For some reason, there are four "srservice" sources. I'll just post one for now:

Event Type: Information
    Event Source: SRService
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 111
    Date: 3/14/2010
    Time: 7:03:52 PM
    User: N/A
    Computer: HOME-DFE7BDCF87
    Description:
    A restoration to "System Checkpoint" restore point failed. No changes have been made to the system.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

I know there's no guarantee this will solve my problems with Firefox, but it's helped in the past. Sorry if I missed another thread about this somewhere. When I looked for help, the topic I previously linked to was the first thread I saw.

2. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

avgupd.exe.old is related to AVG.

You could try uninstalling AVG to see if System Restore comes back to life. Use the AVG Remover.

If no luck,

First, try System Restore in Safe Mode.

Read this article from Microsoft:

Read: System Restore

How to start System Restore by using the Command prompt:

To start System Restore using the Command prompt, follow these steps:

1. Restart your computer, and then press and hold F8 during the initial startup to start your computer in Safe Mode with a Command Prompt.

2. Use the arrow keys to select the Safe mode with a Command Prompt option.

3. If you are prompted to select an operating system, use the arrow keys to select the appropriate operating system for your computer, and then press ENTER.

4. Log on as an administrator or with an account that has administrator credentials.

5. At the command prompt, type %systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe, and then press ENTER.

6. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your computer to a functional state.

Norton can also prevent System Restore from working properly:

Read this.

If still no luck, try the following article.

If still no joy, try reinstalling System Restore.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/910147

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice