1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

System Restore Points Created on Non Win System Drive

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by boomclart, Aug 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. boomclart

boomclart Thread Starter

I have limited space on my C drive where win is installed ever since the accumulation of win updates and SP.

I wish to turn off system restore points on that disk and use the E drive which has ample room but will setting system restore points to that drive instead of the C drive mean it only creates a copy of that particular drive... or is the answer in the actual name... will it create a restore point of my C drive on the E drive?

2. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

Restore points for a drive are created on the drive being protected. AFAIK, they can't be moved.

To free space you can put most of the page file onto the other drive, and move documents and programs.

You might also look into moving the Windows\winsxs and \Windows\SoftwareDistribution folders. These can easily add up to 6-8 GiB.
    Moving these is not recommended my Microsoft, so do so at your own risk, google for steps to move these.

HTH

Jerry

3. boomclart

boomclart Thread Starter

Cheers... I had seen one or two things about the winsxs... i'll certainly look into the pro's and cons of moving it.

Temp measure really, I think the ideal solution is getting a larger raptor drive to house windows.

4. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    What is the size of your C drive?

5. boomclart

boomclart Thread Starter

6. DaveA

First Name:
    David
    Well being that this is Vista, I would say that you need a larger drive. I have found that the "BARE" minimum drives drive size that I like is 50 Gigs, and this is for the OS. All programs will be installed on another drive. Vista likes a lot of room.

Is this a XP machine that has been updated to Vista?

7. boomclart

boomclart Thread Starter

was a clean install if i remember back... i first backed up everything onto the E drive from the XP install and sure I wiped the c drive before installing vista... i know i need to get a larger disk but just thought i'd see if there was a problem with my setup firstly.

8. DaveA

First Name:
    David
    Clean or upgrade the Vista install on a OLD XP Hardware will NEVER run like a new Vista built machine.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/745153

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice