System Restore Points -- how to find disk space they use?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

mybest2U

I'm using Vista Home Premium, and I'm wondering if there is any easy way of finding how much disk space the System Restore Points take up? And I would like to determine that without having to turn off System Restore and doing a comparison of HDD usage. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Open an elevated comand prompt. (Start, All Programs, Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator)

Type:vssadmin List ShadowStorage
Press Enter.

moper

The amount set aside in Vista is variable and changes according to available disk space. So there is really no need to keep watch on it at all. But if you wish to remove all previous shadow copies and restore points, you can do that on the second page of Disk Cleanup. It will save only the last copies.

mybest2U

Thank you for your responses, moper and Elvandil, and especially thanks for the command to show the restore point info, moper--that's just the type of thing I was looking for. :)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online