1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

System restore problem

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by mebuckster, Jan 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mebuckster

mebuckster Thread Starter

Each time I attempt a sys restore (not this PC) it eventually comes back with a message that says cannot access a certain file and maybe an anti virus program is the problem. I think I have shut down all the AV programs but not totally sure. I have a point that I want to go to. I think I inadvertently messed up the registry so that I can no longer access the internet but I can do everything else - spreadsheets, solitaire, etc.

2. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

To what extent did you change the registry settings?
    Are you able to run System File Checker.
    Click on Start - Search - Type cmd
    Right click on cmd.exe - select Run as Administrator.
    At the Command Prompt window - Type
    sfc /scannow
    Press Enter.

Let it run to completion - but do not close the cmd window.
    To save the log file.
    Copy and Paste the following in Command Prompt.
    findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >%userprofile%\Desktop
    \sfcdetails.txt

Press Enter
    On your desktop you will see a text file called sfcdetails.txt
    It can take 2-3 runs of system file checker for all files to be replaced/repaired.

3. lunarlander

lunarlander

It also sounds like you have more than 1 antivirus - that's a no no. It causes conflicts and strange behavior. Just keep only one.

4. mebuckster

mebuckster Thread Starter

OK, I will try this, but in the meantime, more info about the registry problem and a question - does system restore include redoing the registry back to the date that is selected? My problem began on Jan 12 and a have a restore point dated Jan 6. So, my main problem now is why does the attempt to do restore always fail? As far as I know I have only m'bytes and I see another reply that says it can be turned off with "malwarebytes.png". Don't now how to use that inasmuch as I cannot get on the internet with that computer. BTW, the symptom of my trouble is that I always get "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permission to access the item". Another BTW, I have an image created last September (Macrium Reflect) that I have also tried to restore but I so far can't make that work either, but that is another problem. Right now I would like to make sys restore work.
    Thanks for all the replies so far.

5. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Malwarebytes is not an antivirus program.
    Not been able to use system restore could be due to a infection.
    Have you recently run Malwarebytes - it will not update without the internet but scan your pc anyway.

Using another pc - burn to a DVD an antivirus Rescue Disk.
    Start the pc from the rescue disk and scan your pc.
    https://www.lifewire.com/free-bootable-antivirus-tools-2625785

What operating system do you have installed?

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1221931

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice